Can we increase the weekly invocation limit (50,000+) for a free app?

Hi Team,
We are building an integration in Jira with the forge for editing the issues. As we all know, we don’t have a bulk edit API, so we need to call the individual API to update a single ticket. We have more than 1 million tickets, and we need 1 million invocations to edit those tickets, but we are only allowed to invoke 50,000 invocations a week according to Platform Quotes and Limits. Can anyone please help me out with this issue?

Hello @MehulPateliya

To put it simply… no. If you want more functionality (invocations per week), your company will need to pay for it. If your company isn’t prepared to pay for the increased functionality, you will simply have to do the changes in batches over multiple weeks.

Personally speaking, a company with 1 million active issues in Jira, all of which need updating, sounds a lot like they are engaged in a major commercial operation, so the associated costs of doing business at that scale shouldn’t be a factor.

1 Like

Is there a paid plan for forge already? Not sure if this is even an option, even if @MehulPateliya would want it.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure it falls under the Forge Platform quotas and limits - FaaS limits for free vs paid Forge apps.

Maybe an Atlassian staff member can confirm this? Alternatively, there’s information on the quotas and limits page how the OP can contact support directly on the topic of requesting more capacity / quota increases.

Ahh, right, now I understand the confusion.

When Atlassian refers to paid apps on that page it means apps that are listed on the Atlassian Marketplace as a paid app. As in, end-users that install the app on their Jira/Confluence/etc instance need to pay the Atlassian Marketplace vendor.

There are different quotas for commercial forge apps that are listed on the Atlassian Marketplace because A) they need more resources as they are multi-tenant, B) they have a higher standard of availability / reliability as the customer is paying for them (compared to free apps) and C) because Atlassian takes a revenue share which is basically a form of payment towards additional infrastructure resources.

So it does not mean that the publisher/creator of the app is paying Atlassian for the forge app (versus a free forge app), but it means that the app is commercially exploited.

See also https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/forge/platform-quotas-and-limits/#installation-quotas

There are three tiers for quotas, depending on how your app is deployed:

• Paid apps - Apps listed on the Atlassian Marketplace with a paid license.
  • Free apps - Apps listed on the Atlassian Marketplace with a free license.
  • Distributed apps - Apps distributed via the developer console.
2 Likes

Atlassian announced that forge platform will be payed since 2025 and they are still preparing the pricing model.

We will reach out for an individual conversation if your app is at risk of consistently exceeding the quotas. You can also reach out to us via the Developer Support service desk 2.

I always believed that you can send them request and if your use case is justified, they will grant you an exception for the quotas.

2 Likes

Ahh, so in that sense, if the OP developer wants more functionality for the app, they have to change the app from being a free one to a paid one, and the company using it then has to ‘buy it’, so to speak, from the developer (even if that developer really is the company itself) at the appropriate rate based on their seat licence count.

@sunnyape @slythe Do we have an option of like, the vendor will pay for the app and all the users can use it as a free app?

Well, I guess Atlassian wouldn’t really care who pays for it, including the vendor themselves. In the scenario above, the company developing the app could ‘sell’ it to themselves to get the extra functionality required to meet their needs.

The only unknown factor is… what will the long-term price be after 2024? Will Atlassian set a price floor for apps? That topic has been discussed many times elsewhere.

I think it is important to note that there is a distinction that might not be very obvious from the forge documentation: whenever Atlassian mentions free or paid apps, they are really only talking about monetisation on the Atlassian Marketplace.

Whenever they are talking about paying for forge, they refer to it as fees and it will be related to the service, not to the app.

I think in this scenario, @MehulPateliya is developing a private in-house Forge app (or, in Atlassian terminology, a distributed app). I do not expect them to want to publish the app to the Atlassian Marketplace. They want to pay a fee for forge services based on usage / resources whilst still keeping the app only privately available in-house.

Right now, for distributed apps, there is no option for the creator to pay for the Forge hosting / resources yet unless they use the Connect-on-Forge bridge to offload computing to their own managed infrastructure. Hopefully this will change in 2024, but it is highly possible that even Atlassian is too entangled in their own word salad that they might forget to consider payment models for distributed apps, as the article @slythe mentioned specifically talks about pricing models that are relevant to Atlassian Marketplace Partners (incl. taking into consideration revenue share as part of the pricing model).

It is indeed true that one could also publish in-house apps to the Atlassian Marketplace, like @sunnyape seems to suggest, but keep in mind that publishing to the Atlassian Marketplace means that the app will be available for others and that, per the Atlassian Marketplace Partner agreement, you commit yourself to some level of support. Paid apps will also go through a vetting process before being published.

Creating a paid app and buying it yourself is possible, but you cannot limit who will be able to buy it. So you might end up also having to support the app for other customers that are also paying for it. If you are developing an in-house app, that might not be what you are looking for.

To be completely honest, I think Forge is still lightyears away from being viable for use in an enterprise system described by @MehulPateliya.

2 Likes

Hi @MehulPateliya,

As far as I understand, the limit of 50,000 invocations applies to Forge only, it doesn’t apply to REST API usage. So you may try updating N issues in one invocation. You’d need to figure out that N though.

Thanks,
Vitalii

1 Like

And your app is listed on marketplace or distributed manually?

If it’s on marketplace, I’m not sure if you can mark the app as payed and set $0 for each user tier, you will have to try that. Otherwise if you set price > 0, each tenant will have to pay, you cannot do it for them as a vendor of that app.

If it’s ann app for few limited tenants distributed manually, you can consider to use webhooks in combination with custom cloud functions (azure / gcp / aws). You would use defined service accounts for authentication on each tenant. Or it can be Jira automation rule in combination with custom cloud functions (Send web request action), but there are limits too.