Can't call Jira API from forge confluence module

I am trying to build a custom reporting tool in Atlassian forge. The app is set up as a confluence module. The problem is any call to the Jira API returns an error message of “The app is not installed on this instance”. What does this error mean and how can it be fixed?

Here is the snippet of code I am trying to run.

Hi @ColbyWilson1 ,

In order for the app to be authorised to call an API in Jira, the app must also be installed in Jira (even if the app has no Jira-specific functionality). The installation process also handles the API authorisation that is needed to call the Jira API from the Confluence installation of your app.

However, I am concerned that a recent change internally in Forge may have broken this… so if you try to do the second install, it still may not work. I am following up internally about this and will let you know if I have any further updates.

Can you share some more detail about the app you’re building? Is it just for use within your company, or are you hoping to distribute this app to others?

Thanks for using Forge :slight_smile:
Joe

2 Likes

Thanks, installing it onto Jira worked. The app was just for internal use.

It worked for me also, a question, how is that handled license-wise, if you only want to license the Confluence macro and not the jira part?

Hi Joe. Do you news about this?

It worked for me also, a question, how is that handled license-wise, if you only want to license the Confluence macro and not the jira part?

Unfortunately we don’t have a solution for paid apps. The Atlassian Marketplace doesn’t allow you to define a pricing plan for an app that can be installed in multiple products, even if you wanted to make it free for one of those products. This remains a desirable feature on our long term roadmap that we hope to support in the future.

If you wanted to get creative with workarounds in the meantime, you could explore doing something a bit unconventional, like building a separate app for Confluence that is free and then building a web trigger module to faciliate a RPC-style communication mechanism.

Hi Joe. Do you news about this?

Unfortunately no news to share in this area.

1 Like

Hi Joe, the workaround with Web trigger seems interesting, but could it be possible to pass the authorization of the current user from one product to another via a web trigger ?

Also, could you help clarify if this item in forge roadmap will allow cross calling without installing app in each product ? Trello

I don’t think there’s any way to pass through the authorization of the current user via a web trigger.

Also, could you help clarify if this item in forge roadmap will allow cross calling without installing app in each product ? Trello

Yes, that roadmap item would address this problem, but it currently does not have a forecast ship date as it is not actively being worked on at the moment.

1 Like