Concern about Jira Web Panel module being deprecated and replaced

Hello Community members,
I’m here with a strong concern about the recent deprecation notice for two Jira Web Panel (webPanels) module locations within Forge or Connect applications. The affected locations are:

• atl.jira.view.issue.left.context: For web panels that appear in the content section on the left.
  • atl.jira.view.issue.right.context: For web panels that are displayed in the context section on the right, resembling a glance panel.

Atlassian recommends migrating to the Issue Context module for both views. And this is a big problem for our app use cases.
In our app, we allow users to select the preferred view: it’s either the right issue context menu (former Glance), or the left panel in the Jira issue view. Analytics shows that >70% of users stick to the left Jira issue view for a better experience with our app. Once this deprecation occurs, it will ruin the workflow of the majority of our users. What does Atlassian suggest for this use case? Can we have any controls to influence the Context module view and display it on the left?

4 Likes

Here is a little bit more clarification from Atlassian support team:

• atl.jira.view.issue.left.context - Left panels appear in the content section and we recommend migrating to the Issue Content module for this functionality.
  • atl.jira.view.issue.right.context - Right panels appear in the context section and we recommend migrating to the Issue Context module for this functionality.

Perhaps I’m reading this incorrectly, but I think Atlassian is referring to Issue Content instead of Issue Context for the atl.jira.view.issue.left.context

Yes, but the original deprecation notice is not correct:

• atl.jira.view.issue.left.context: For web panels that appear in the content section on the left. We advise transitioning to the Issue Context module for similar functionality.

And it has led to this misunderstanding.