Confluence 8.4 beta is available now

This week we released a beta for Confluence. There are changes in this release that may directly affect 3rd-party apps.

New in 8.4

To find out what’s in this release, check out the Confluence 8.4 beta release notes.

Get started

Download the beta from our site to start testing your app for compatibility with the changes. Be sure to take a look at our Preparing for Confluence 8.4 guide to find out what you need to do to make your app compatible. We’ll update that page regularly, so keep an eye on it to see any changes.

The Atlassian Confluence team

2 Likes

Hi @Wendy,

I am encountering a minor problem when building our app with the 8.4.0.beta1 and I assume that I am missing something.

We are using Spring Java Configuration and according to the documentation Required dependencies the following dependencies are required:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.osgi</groupId>
    <artifactId>osgi.core</artifactId>
    <version>6.0.0</version>
    <scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
    <artifactId>spring-beans</artifactId>
    <version>5.0.10.RELEASE</version>
    <scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <artifactId>spring-context</artifactId>
    <version>5.0.10.RELEASE</version>
    <scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

Since the dependencies are provided by Confluence I would like to not specify the version number. Otherwise my build process could assume the wrong version number of the provided artifacts and I would need to check the versions manually.

<dependency>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

This worked in previous versions up to 8.3.x of Confluence for osgi.core (and it still works for the two spring artifacts). In 8.4.0-beta1 I get the following error message at build time with my ‘versionless’ configuration:

[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:
[ERROR] 'dependencies.dependency.version' for org.osgi:osgi.core:jar is missing.

I can easily fix this issue by adding the version number to the osgi.core dependency like this.

<dependency>
      <!-- Version number required for Confluence 8.4.x -->
      <version>6.0.0</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

But shouldn’t this be provided by the Confluence POM com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-plugins-platform-pom I am depending on?

What do I miss?

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

Hi @rr1, so sorry for the late reply. I’ve shared your question with the product team, and they’ll come back to you shortly.

1 Like

Hi @rr1, thanks for bringing this to our attention - you are correct, the version should be provided.

We will rectify this in the 8.4.1 POM, please specify the version as 8.0.0 until then.

2 Likes

Hi @Kusal, Thank you very much for looking into this!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.