Confluence REST API and group name with "/"

Hi,
I’m getting errors in my app when a Confluence group name contains a “/” (forward slash).

I.e. a group called “ateam/intro”.

When I do a call to the Confluence API, with the URI:
https://your-domain.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/group/{groupName}
i.e. https://your-domain.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/group/ateam/intro, I get back a 404 response, as the forward slash in the group name is interpreted as a path.

Am I supposed to use encodeURIComponent() on the group name? Asking because I get the group names from Confluence from another API call in JSON. And I want to avoid errors due to using the wrong encoding. Unfortunately I could not find any information in the documentation.

Further research has shown that groups with names containing a slash are not accessible through the REST API, both with escaped and unescaped slashes.

Opened a bug report with Atlassian on the issue.

Hi @marc,

Can you please share the ticket with us?

Cheers,
Anne

Hi @acalantog , thanks for checking.
The ticket is Jira Service Management

Hi @acalantog , were you able to reproduce the issue?

The issue now is tracked at: [CONFCLOUD-68869] group API method cannot fetch group names with a slash - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

1 Like

Hi @marc,

Just wondering if this is solved by the new endpoints which were recently added to the REST API:

Atlassian actually also seems to have deprecated the old endpoints that require the use of group names instead of IDs but have not announced this anywhere if I’m not mistaken.

Cheers,
Sven

@sven.schatter Thank you very much for the link

@nmansilla Was/Is there an announcement about deprecation of the get group by name API endpoints? My app relies on this, when will the endpoints be removed?

1 Like

According to the docs, the /rest/api/group/{groupName} endpoint is deprecated.

I can access the information about my test/group using /rest/api/group/by-name?name=test/group and /rest/api/group/member?name=test/group. Does this solve your problem?

@candid Thank you for your help! This should work.

The reason I tagged @nmansilla is that @sven.schatter and I did not see any announcement of the deprecation, and the bug report about group names with a “/” is still open. If the API is deprecated, I would have expected that the bug report would be closed with a reference to the deprecation.

Here’s an announcement about deprecations in July around various group related endpoints 6 new Group APIs and 2 Group API deprecations for Confluence Cloud

4 Likes

@rwhitbeck Thanks! Somehow missed that. That implies that [CONFCLOUD-68869] group API method cannot fetch group names with a slash - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products. can be closed?

Oof I even had liked that post… Thanks Ralph :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@marc Correct, group names with special characters can now be fetched since it can be queried by using the query parameters instead of the path parameters.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/rest/api-group-group/#api-api-group-by-name-get

1 Like

How does one fetch groups with special characters in Confluence Server/Datacenter edition? The new API is not present there, correct?