Connect apps with same macro keys failed to install

We have two Apps (a Full version and a Lite version) that used to have the same macro key (say macro-example-key). Both apps could be installed at least in Feb’s release.

A few clients installed both versions. They probably installed the Lite version first and then installed the Full version (paid). They both work fine as our Apps handle that macro the same way.
On the last release (2nd April) we noticed that neither of the two versions can be updated.

It seems to be related to Prevent Connect apps with macro alias conflicts from installing.

It is an important upgrading path for our clients to upgrade from Lite to Full. Could someone please confirm the behavior has changed? It is much appreciated if someone could advise what we can do now?

Apparently, we cannot simply rename one key as other clients are relying upon this key. Or is there a migration path that we could utilize?

@Andrew.Ngo , mentioning you because you authored the previous post.

2 Likes

Hi @eagle.xiao,

Yes, this seems to be related to the changes put into effect to avoid macro alias and key conflicts which have been causing issues to vendors.

If both apps with the same macro keys are currently installed, an update will not be possible since there is a check with existing apps.

We suggest two solutions that can mitigate your current issue:

1. Uninstall one app and the other app will be able to update
  2. If you would like both apps to be installed, changing the macro keys and alias to be unique so there is no conflict

We do not currently support migration paths, but that is possible on the vendor’s end. You would need to make your own Lite → Full migration path, where in Lite, you have a “Migrate to Full” action, and you will need to manually update the macro keys in the content from the lite to the full version.

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your reply.

I can understand that this “have been causing issues” to some vendors. But the changes cause issues to other vendors like us and causes issues to our customers. They are not receiving updates. What makes it worse is that they can SEE updated resources (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) but because the app descriptor is not updated their experience is downgraded.

#1 is not a solution because the data created with that app will break if they uninstall one app.

It seems that we have only one option which is to change the macro key AND also migrate the data after installation of the new version.

@Andrew.Ngo I’m not sure if I’m getting it right, but how in the world would we (vendors) know if our apps are in conflict with another aliases? Does it make any sense that this works as a FIFS? So, if my app is installed first, everything is ok. And what if another vendor uses the a macro with the same alias, then what? He lost a client because some other app is also using the same macro alias?

Once again, please correct me if I’m getting wrong, but if I’m not, this is a nonsense.

2 Likes