Create an issue with using JIRA method (window.AP.jira.openCreateIssueDialog)

Hi Atlaskit Team,

We are currently using the window.AP.jira.openCreateIssueDialog method to create a bug from our application. If a user configure the resolution field from the JIRA configuration and attempts to create a bug without filling in the value in the resolution field, JIRA will not allow usr to create an issue without resolution.

Is there any way to create an issue using the window.AP.jira.openCreateIssueDialog method without specifying the resolution?

Hello @umang.savaliya

I don’t think the problem has anything to do with the using the window.AP.jira.openCreateIssueDialog method, it’s just the way that Issue type has been configured in Jira. If the resolution field has been set as being a required (mandatory) field, then the user must provide a value.

The only way to change that behaviour would be to alter the field configuration for that issue type in Jira itself.

Thank you for your response.
However, in my case, the field is not configured as mandatory from the configuration. I am still able to reproduce the issue with the method.

Can you please confirm the following:

1. If, using the web GUI, if user tries to create a new Bug type issue directly, and they do not select any value for the Resolution field, when they push the Create button, does a new Bug get created - Yes or No?

2. If the answer to the above is Yes, when the user opens and views that newly created Bug, is the Resolution field still not set with any value - Yes or No?

3. When you use the window.AP.jira.openCreateIssueDialog method to make that dialog window appear, are you also attempting to set a value for the Resolution field - Yes or No?

1. If, using the web GUI, if user tries to create a new Bug type issue directly, and they do not select any value for the Resolution field, when they push the Create button, does a new Bug get created - Yes
  2. If the answer to the above is Yes, when the user opens and views that newly created Bug, is the Resolution field still not set with any value - Yes
  3. When you use the window.AP.jira.openCreateIssueDialog method to make that dialog window appear, are you also attempting to set a value for the Resolution field - No, by default, we have not set any value for the Resolution field. It is entirely managed by Jira.

Sorry, then based on what you’ve described, I don’t think I can be of any further help. I can’t think of any reason why you are experiencing a difference between a user opening the Create Issue dialog window directly in the GUI versus using that JS API method to open the same dialog window. In theory, the result should be identical, as the method shouldn’t ‘affect’ that one field on that dialog window in any way that would cause that strange behaviour.

Maybe someone else on the forum has seen this behaviour before and knows why it is happening.