Create users via Api, Experimental?

Hi Guys,

Looking at the documentation, create user via api it’s experimental. Someone knows if Atlassian will put stay that option

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-users/#api-group-users

Welcome to the Atlassian developer community, @FabioManzoni.

From the linked docs about POST /rest/api/3/user:

This resource is retained for legacy compatibility. As soon as a more suitable alternative is available this resource will be deprecated.

Which means we won’t be removing the experimental tag. Rather, there is still expected to be a new way to add users. My current recommendation is the Atlassian-wide user provisioning APIs, although that is not the formal replacement at this time.

That’s because this approach works in a much more indirect way to add users to Jira. The approach is based on a standard called System for Cross-domain Identity Management (SCIM) and requires that sources act as if they were user directories. Even after provisioning user and groups, there is not a direct way to add a user to Jira. Instead, products rely on group membership to decide if the user should be added. So, even with a level of automation, this approach still requires some up-front administrative configuration.

1 Like

Hi @ibuchanan,

But the user provisioning API is not availble without Atlassian Access subscription. Or am I mistaken?

@charlie.misonne,

I confirm that is more or less correct.

Technically, I think you can still make requests on the cloud admin APIs (including SCIM) without having Atlassian Access. Regardless of that technicality, you could not configure the product UI that would properly populate those users & groups into Jira without Atlassian Access. Effectively, that means Atlassian considers automated provisioning of users & groups as a paid feature.

There are auth + API combinations that are either legacy or experimental that pre-date the new Atlassian identity architecture. I don’t know of plans to remove them, but I’m pretty sure the new strategy means we wouldn’t be moving them out of their current status. If you can make it work without SCIM, you are likely using APIs that are unsupported.