Custom field restricted to certain project roles

OK bear with me, I’m new :wink:

So I have some development experience, I followed the Jira Hello World tutorial, setting up my Hello World app. Now I’d like to do something real: Set up a custom text field that only certain project roles can see, and a way for admins to configure those project roles.

The problem is that I don’t know where to start, so I’d be super happy if someone could nudge me into the right direction.

Thanks!
Ingmar

I can’t find Project Roles anywhere in the docs, so I guess I’ll have to go with Groups. Maybe I can create an Admin Page that allows admins to pick the Groups that should be able to see the custom field, and then a custom field that references that list of Groups to decide if it renders itseld.

While this sounds good in theory, I still don’t know where to start :wink:

Hi @IngmarHeinrich,
Welcome to the community :smiley:
Maybe you could try checking Display Conditions

Regards
Magdalena Lidia Rogulska

Aye ma’am, will do!

Display conditions only control visibility, not access. That means every user with access can use the API to view a custom field.

Yeah, I just realized Display Conditions is only client side. That won’t do it for me, since the custom field will contain sensitive data.

Also, I have created a config page now, but I have no idea how to create a group picker that allows to pick 1…n groups, which get stored.