Do you need to support server to cloud migrations?

Some apps may not need a server to cloud migration path.

Common examples we’ve found include:

• Integrations to a 3rd party service (although post install steps like authentication and reconfiguration may apply).
  • Apps that rely entirely on core Atlassian Data and don’t store any data of their own.
  • Apps that add data to core data (e.g. macros) that use the same keys and format in server and cloud.

For customers this means that they only need to install the app in cloud and it “just works”.

We’ve found though is that we can’t - and more importantly our customers can’t - easily differentiate apps that don’t need to build migration paths from those that do.

Does this case apply to you? If so, how are you communicating this with your customers?

3 Likes

Here’s a great example from Balsamiq on how they’re communicating the simplicity of migrating from Server to Cloud with their apps:

Migrating from Confluence DC or Server to Confluence Cloud - Balsamiq for Confluence Documentation | Balsamiq and Migrating from Jira DC or Server to Jira Cloud - Balsamiq for Jira Documentation | Balsamiq

Shoutout to @sax @liz @natalie and others at Balsamiq for nice work documenting how to migrate from server to cloud!

4 Likes

Thank you @akassab, we are looking forward to be listed as fully compliant in the Jira and Confluence Migration Assistant tool!

2 Likes

Thanks @sax!

For anyone who is experiencing issues with the accuracy of the information presented in the Cloud Migrations Assistant (e.g. your app appears to be “not available in cloud” when you have a cloud version available or documentation for your feature differences that does not appear or your app appears to not support a migration from server to cloud when it does) please contact me!

We hope to make this more self service in the future.

1 Like

We have described in our documentation how to do eazyBI data migration from Jira Server to Jira Cloud Database migration

1 Like

Thanks @raimonds.simanovskis! Does this documentation also apply to eazyBI Reports and Charts for Confluence or do you have separate documentation for that?

@akassab Currently this is implemented just for Jira Server to Cloud migrations. We need to make some additional changes to support Confluence Server to Cloud migrations as well. We plan to add this in the next upcoming eazyBI for Confluence version.

1 Like

Hi @raimonds.simanovskis,

I am not able to see the database migrator option on Jira server as i am trying to migrate to cloud. I had perform the test migration month ago that time the option was visible but as i am trying to do new migration but did see any option available. Can you please let me know why ? or do we have to enable any flag to get that option?