EULA or Terms of Service for a paid app

Hi all,

I am currently confused, which one of the two legal documents (EULA, Terms of Service) should be used when releasing a paid app into the Atlassian Marketplace.

It is not a secret, that those two documents are most of the time interchanged and people use one instead of the other one and vice versa.

When publishing an app via the vendor administration, you are bound to provide a link for “Customer terms” - that, for me insinuates to be “Terms of Service” or “Terms and Conditions” document. (screenshot1)

However when on the marketplace public page, the link “Customer terms” is labelled as EULA (screenshot2)

This is why it is not clear to me, what kind of document should be provided there.

And my question therefore is, whether “Customer terms” means either the “Terms and Conditions” legal document or a “EULA” legal document.

Thank you

1 Like

@IvanHanak I think this is a legacy / new design type of error. In the Marketplace listing page and the UPM, the value of the customer terms are shown as EULA. So I would strongly suggest using the URL to your EULA as a value for the customer terms field.

In the end, what is most important, is that the in the UPM upon installation, the customer has to indicate that they agree with your EULA. That is the contract between you and your customer.

What we did is incorporate the Terms of Service within the EULA, saying that by accepting the EULA, the customer also automatically accepted the Terms of Service. That way, you can still have two separate legal documents with separate terms, but have the customer accept both at the same time.

2 Likes