Expectations concerning rollout of New Jira Issue View

There have been various posts on this forum about the rollout of the new Jira issue view, but I’d like some help to understand the implications for my particular situation, please.

One of our biggest Cloud customers contacted us yesterday, complaining that our add-on does not work in the new Jira issue view. It appears that the web-panel that we insert at atl.jira.view.issue.left.context no longer appears.

So can I beg for clarification on these things:

a) The rollout should only be going to Jira instances that don’t have Marketplace add-ons at this stage; but the new issue view was enabled for this customer more or less accidentally; is that correct?

b) At this moment we can add the new Issue Content and Issue Glimpse modules to our descriptors, but they won’t be effective in the user interface unless we’re in the alpha program; it that correct?

c) I understood that the updated Jira instances would be backwards compatible, in that web-panels inserted at atl.jira.view.issue.left.context would still appear, at least for the short term. That appears not to be the case for our customer, so I’m wondering if my understanding is flawed.

d) This is the biggie: what can I tell our customer about an expected timeline for rectification of the problem, assuming that we can make any product changes very quickly?

Many thanks for your time.
David

1 Like

Hi David,

You’re correct that we inadvertently moved some Jira sites to the new issue view even though they have marketplace apps installed. We’re hoping to start enabling marketplace app support for those sites first, starting Monday (Sydney time). From that point they should be able to see apps that use the atl.jira.view.issue.left.context location or the new issue glance and issue content modules.

From when we start enabling marketplace app support for sites with the new issue view, there should be no need to be part of the alpha program. If any of your customers are stuck and need access to your app immediately, they can turn off the new issue view (at least for now) by going to their avatar > Profile and turning off the New Jira issue view switch under Labs.

Apologies for any inconvenience; we’re working on getting app support out as soon as possible.

1 Like

@gbrunning, to confirm, this means that atl.jira.view.issue.left.context will be deprecated going forwards and glances are the new paradigm that take over for both atl.jira.view.issue.left.context and atl.jira.view.issue.right.context? That is, no 3rd party marketplace app content will be displayed in the area where atl.jira.view.issue.left.context was?

Reference: Issue view UI locations

Hi,

Whether app content appears in a glance or in the issue content area depends on the nature of the app content. Glances are good for apps that show status and other summary information, which users can then click into to get more detail, or where they can configure the app. Apps that add content like diagrams, files, and other content types to issues are better off using the issue content area, where you have a quick-add button that lets users add content that helps describe the issue.

You can read more about the new locations on this page.

Thanks Giles! I do now see " The quick-add buttons will replace the current atl.jira.view.issue.left.context location." in the page you authored: https://blog.developer.atlassian.com/alpha-program-for-the-new-jira-issue-view/