Forge tunnel Broken on UI KIT 2 + Native Node App

Hello, I’m trying to figure out why forge tunnel fails on a brand new UI Kit 2 app using the new native node.js runtime.

I created a new plugin using the following steps:

• forge create … selecting UI kit 2 (Preview) and jira-issue-panel
  • Add runtime:\n\tname: nodejs18.x to manifest.yml under app.
  • forge deploy
  • forge install
  • Verify that the Issue Panel renders in my Jira test site.
  • forge tunnel --verbose - appears to spawn correctly, but my app no longer renders and just shows the loading card animation perpetually:

The output of forge tunnel --verbose shows that it is receiving heartbeats, but somehow the app itself is not loading in the Jira UI and I never see Invocation ... log messages:

✔ Resources bundled.

Listening for requests on local port 45717...

t=2023-11-29T02:15:03+0000 lvl=dbug msg="heartbeat received" obj=tunnels.session obj=csess id=b28c73d48eee clientid=c97a8757de46e10070eeb7ac0cf3080c latency_ms=85
t=2023-11-29T02:15:13+0000 lvl=dbug msg="heartbeat received" obj=tunnels.session obj=csess id=b28c73d48eee clientid=c97a8757de46e10070eeb7ac0cf3080c latency_ms=84

What am I doing wrong or missing here? Thanks!

Seeing the same issue as well!

I also have began experiencing this issue last week. @JingYuan, do you happen to know what might cause this?

Sorry I couldn’t tell what went wrong here, could you please raise a ticket here: https://developer.atlassian.com/support, our support engineer will help you diagnose the issue.

I’ve been blocked by similar situation and today figured it out - as I’m using Safari and it appears tunnelling does NOT work with Safari according to the “Tunneling with Customer UI”:

Tunneling with custom UI apps is only supported on Chrome and Firefox browsers.

I believe UIKit2 is essentially built on top of Customer UI so that explains and once I switch to Chrome it works for me.

In the Known Limitations section, however, it says

Tunneling doesn’t work with Safari browsers as it doesn’t allow iframes connecting to localhost

But apparently UIKit 1 works with tunneling in Safari for me, so it’s a bit confusing.

2 Likes