Get workflow transition rule configurations API call returns timeout/internal server error

Hi there!

Since a few days, we’ve been having problems regarding the following API call in order to obtain the transition rules configuration during a migration:

/rest/atlassian-connect/1/migration/workflow/rule/search

Last Friday everything was working for us, but since this Monday we noticed that our migrations were not obtaining correctly the transition rules, and we observed that we are obtaining as a result from that call a timeout/internal error.

Has this API call been modified?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Sergio

2 Likes

Hi @SergioGarcaConsuegra,

Thanks for posting the message. To help understand this better, are you able to reproduce this issue and then let us know

1. The domain name of the cloud site you’re using
  2. The full, specific error message that’s returned from the endpoint
  3. The time (and timezone) that you have made a request

This will help us investigate further.

Thanks,
James.

Hi @jrichards ,

I can’t reproduce the problem of the timeout, but we are having the following problem. I will try to explain it as precisely as I can:

After we make the API call to obtain the mappings ( [rest/atlassian-connect/1/migration/mapping) , in this case, we obtain the workflowRules (“jira/classic:workflowRule”)

The next step would be the one that is giving us problem. For each workflowRule, we make the api call to obtain the transition rule configurations (/rest/atlassian-connect/1/migration/workflow/rule/search).

We obtain results, but not like before. Previous week, on Friday, from all the mappings obtained, there were some values amongs them which contains in the array validRules the rules related to our application post-functions/conditions/validators. This would be an example of a valid answer we obtained before:

Client 6bdcf155-3a1c-3bb5-9599-69880670cc06, migrating workflow rule:
{
  validRules: [
    {
      workflowId: { name: 'DEMO: Project Management Workflow (1)', draft: false },
      postFunctions: [
        {
          id: '9e98bad4-a828-43a9-8b91-f23cfdbfb490',
          key: 'addComment',
          configuration: {
            value: '{"WORKFLOW_RULE_CONFIGURATION_SERVER"}',
            disabled: false
          },
          transition: { id: 11, name: 'Start Progress' }
        }
      ],
      conditions: [],
      validators: []
    }
  ],
  invalidRules: [],
  workflowEntityId: '3c60382b-d2fd-4544-a411-44972df27605'
}

As you can see, in that call we obtained correctly the values related to the validRules of our application.

Besides that, we also obtained some transition Rules with invalidRules, like the following one:

{
  validRules: [],
  invalidRules: [ 'ccbc6126-434c-4573-aa8f-34a1688785ae' ],
  workflowEntityId: '1d99175b-3e77-4ca1-a6ad-a19da14a5b08'
}

We are only obtaining transition rule configurations where the validRules array is empty, that is our problem. Now, we only obtain transition rule configurations with invalidRules, instead of transition rule configurations with validRules and invalidRules

Regarding your questions:
1. The domain name of the cloud site you’re using

2. The full, specific error message that’s returned from the endpoint
In this case, the error is that we are not obtaining any value in the validRules array anymore, it’s always empty. All the transition rule configuration obtained ae values with invalidRules.
We are not obtaining any json like the one I wrote or the one that appears in the official documentation:
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-app-migration/#api-rest-atlassian-connect-1-migration-workflow-rule-search-post

3. The time (and timezone) that you have made a request
I just did another migration between 09:34 AM and 09:47 AM (Madrid Timezone, GMT+1) today (16th December)

Regarding the timeout error, we’ve not been able to reproduce it, but it happened Monday 13th December, between 10:00-14:00 PM GMT+1, I took this screenshot:

If you need any other information, please let us know.

Hi @SergioGarcaConsuegra

Thanks for your detailed message. Will you be able to share the following information about one of the migrations where you face this issue,

• Transfer ID used to retrieve workflowRules (“jira/classic:workflowRule”) mappings
  • Request payload for one of the affected /rest/atlassian-connect/1/migration/workflow/rule/search call

With these information, we can infer the workflow ID, workflow rule IDs for which you are facing this issue and take this forward to the corresponding team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Hariharan.

Hi @HariharanRajendran ,

I did a new migration today, between 08:30 - 09:30 AM GMT+1 (Just that one, so you should find it easily)

Still having the same problem. Here you have the headers and body from the request, so you will find all the information related to transfer ID, workflow ID, workflow rule IDs… If you need any other information, please let me know.

Body data

'{"workflowEntityId":"9a4438ed-aa1f-4b43-9f08-bb845a97fd72","ruleIds":["63dacdc4-4d14-40e2-a193-3f14da298cce"],"expand":"transition"}'

Headers

'Content-Type': 'application/json',
  'Atlassian-Transfer-Id': '2cfe9268-a1dd-34aa-a27c-93e4b67d537b'

Thank you.

Best regards,
Sergio

Thanks heaps @SergioGarcaConsuegra . We will take this to the corresponding team and come back.

Can I please request you to delete the Authorization JWT in your post (as we don’t need it and it seems sensitive data :slight_smile: )?

Regards,
Hariharan.

Hi @HariharanRajendran ,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I edited the message and we will wait for your update regarding this issue.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Sergio

Hi @SergioGarcaConsuegra

We’ve got the response from the corresponding team. Based on our investigation so far, we suspect that the following entities are migrated to your cloud site as part of your previous migrations ran few weeks back. Your app could get this mapping as the lifetime of Jira mappings are 2 years as stated here.

"workflowEntityId":"9a4438ed-aa1f-4b43-9f08-bb845a97fd72"
"ruleId":"63dacdc4-4d14-40e2-a193-3f14da298cce"

Rule Ids can be returned as “invalidRules”, when workflow transition rules are not actually part of the specified workflow in cloud. Is there any chance that this workflow transition rule is deleted in your cloud site after migration ?

Also, will it be possible to test your workflow rule migration towards a new cloud site and share your observations ?

Thanks and regards,
Hariharan.

Hi @HariharanRajendran

I’m working with Sergio and others on server/dc to cloud migration support for our app.

For a new cloud instance, now even the mappings API returns an empty result for namespace jira/classic:workflowRule (while other namespace keys. like e.g. jira/classic:project return result records). We noticed that JCMA actually did transfer the workflow rule in question, since it is returned by querying the non-migration rest endpoint /rest/api/3/workflow/rule/config.

It worked before, and we did not change anything. Did something else change for Jira Cloud in relation to JCMA 1.6.6?

Hi @UdoHagemannDecadisAG

Thanks for your response. We have reported this issue to the corresponding team and created a MIG ticket for this issue. Please follow the MIG ticket for further updates.

Thanks,
Hariharan.

HI @UdoHagemannDecadisAG , @SergioGarcaConsuegra ,

We have deployed the fix for MIG ticket. Could you please run a test migration and confirm whether the issue is resolved for you ?

Thanks and regards,
Hariharan.

Hi @HariharanRajendran,

the issue doesn’t appear anymore.

Thanks a lot for resolving, best regards,
Udo

2 Likes