Getting an app listed on the Toolchain discovery page

I’ve been trying to get my app listed in the Toolchain discovery page within Jira software project settings. On this page you can find tools like Bitbucket, Github, Jenkins, Synk, but its completely unclear how to add an app to that page.

I have connected with several people of Atlassian at AppWeek in Berlin earlier this year, but after months on mailing, talking and opening a support ticket, my app is still not listed, nor is it not clear how to go about adding an app to the page, as other Marketplace Partners may also like to get there app listed.

Is there anyone from Atlassian that can help on this?

Cheers,
Mark

2 Likes

Can you post a link to the page?

This is the page I’m revering to.

On your Jira Cloud instance, navigate to any Software project > Project Settings > Toolchain.
Tools can be added using the Add dropdown which brings you to this dialog:

I would like to know how apps can be added to this dialog for users to discover.

1 Like

Hey Mark,
My name is Ofir and I’m a product manager on Jira Software. I’m sorry for the journey that you’ve been on here and the lack of clarity available about the process - I can share the process here and how the apps there have made their way to the page.

The listings there are curated by the Atlassian team based on the following criteria:

1. The app is an ‘official’ (built by Atlassian or tool vendor) integration with a 3rd party tool

2. The app is a 2nd party offering in the DevOps space - meaning it is a tool itself or adds related capabilities to Jira Software itself. It should not be an integration for a 3rd party tool.

While this is our current process and criteria, we are open to feedback either here or via our Partnerships Team as we consider the evolution of this. If you believe that your app should be included in this list and meets the criteria, your Partnership Manager would be the best point of contact to get your app included on the page.

Hope that helps - feel free to reach out if there are any further questions!
Ofir

1 Like

Hi @OfirZeevi,

Thanks for your reply and clarifying the requirements apps should meet.
I believe that my app, Jenkins Integration for Jira, meets the requirements and could be added tot he toolchain.

I don’t know who my Partnership Manager is. How should I go about getting connected with my Partnership Manager to get some traction on this?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi all,

Does anyone know, if it is possible to list an app in the Toolchain discovery page for development purposes (e. g. for a certain organization only)?
We are currently trying to set up the gitlab app via a private, custom marketplace listing to make it work with our self-hosted gitlab instance.

Best regards

Tristan

Hi Tristan,

After a long search, wait and some more searching I finally connected with the PM of the toolchain page.

Currently only official apps, apps either developed by Atlassian or by the Vendor of the software the app is integrating with is eligible to be listed on the page.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

In our case we would like to only get the GitLab integration to work in combination with our self-hosted GitLab instance. This currently involves a workaround consisting of creating a marketplace listing. The marketplace listing is set to private and only we need to have it installed for our organization.

Since you are developing your own public app Jenkins Integration for Jira (will check it out since we are currently using Jenkins), I could have imagined that there might be an option to list the app in the toolchain for development purposes. For the purpose of testing your app in the Toolchain before asking your partnership manager.

Best regards

Tristan

Hi Tristan,

I could have imagined that there might be an option to list the app in the toolchain for development purposes.

I thought the same, and it took me over 6 months to navigate through different teams and people within Atlassian, most saying that my app was eligible to be listed, only to find out that it is not.
A bit of a bummer, but its not the end-all-be-all. The team actually responsible for the toolchain page is thinking about how to open up the registration for the toolchain page to other Marketplace vendors, but as always no timeline.

Since you are developing your own public app Jenkins Integration for Jira (will check it out since we are currently using Jenkins)

I use the private listing and developer mode combination to develop and test the app without making every change a public new version.

Let me know how you find my app, all feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Mark