Hard margins on add-ons iframe - is it necessary?

Hi there, I’ve just got the new JIRA experience on my Cloud, yey! But also, I’ve got questions:

Can you give up on hard margins on add-ons iframes? Our screens are developed for full-width viewports - when you add your margins, everything loses sense… :wink:

And the second one: is there a Cloud API entry to detect if a user is running AUI or ADG? We want to prepare CSS sheet that will overwrite AUI styles into ADG ones - but we don’t know how we can detect so circumstances.

1 Like

Just wanted to add a strong +1 for the suggestion re: removing margins from the add-on iframe. I was thinking of implementing a vertical navigation similar to Tempo, but it looks terrible with 32px of whitespace between the JIRA navigation and the add-on content.

2 Likes

@marcin.nowak I cannot fully answer your first question, but the same problem happens when rendering dialogs: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/extra-padding-on-adg3-dialog/4896/4
I hope this can be improved soon.

Regarding your second question: I don’t think Atlassian intends to provide anything like that. All previous discussions I have seen in this forum stated that there is no plan to add such a feature.
See: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/update-on-how-to-detect-adg3-enabled-tenants/1275

A strong +1000 for both requests.

The new ADG3 UI is awesome, and it would be great to have more control on the screen. It’s a big change for all products when migrating to Cloud and the extra white borders break the UI concept of probably most of them, since it is still needed to support the “old” UI at the same time.

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we are actively working on suppressing the margins for add-on pages and full screen web panels.

I’ll provide another update when we start rolling this out.

Dave

8 Likes

Good news - thanks Dave!

Yay! It’s done! Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks much better – thanks!

Is it fixed on all JIRA Cloud instances? I still have 32px left margin on my development jira instance timereports.atlassian.net. Comparing to staging instance jiratimesheet.atlassian.net the former does not have this style applied from gh-view-issue.css:77

#content .ap-container {
    margin: 0 -32px;
}

@dmeyer I noticed that this new fix

#content .ap-container {
    margin: 0 -32px;
}

has removed the margin for our eazyBI general page iframe but now it has broken our dashboard item iframes - left and right part of dashboard items is not visible:

Hi @raimonds.simanovskis,

Yep, we’re aware. Fix will be released imminently.

Dave

@dmeyer, It seems that the -32px also affected right side web panels in issue view and Agile Details Views. Will your fix also correct this?

Cool, looks like it has now been fixed. Thanks!

1 Like

This issue seems to be back I can see that there is a padding of 20px on the .ap-servlet-placeholder .ap-content

Is there any way to get rid of this or to modify it?

It’s actually there on purpose, see Change Notice - Padding update for Jira Cloud navigation UI - Atlassian Developer Blog

I have added a suggestion on the other related post.
The recommendation is to fill that margin space with a color of the left panel instead of white.

IMHO it will look much better:

1 Like

The blue bar is a great suggestion, alternatively they could add the padding to the body of the frame so that it can be overridden by the add on

I agree the margin is a bit of an annoying element. It definitely doesn’t look nice on our UI, and it seems to me that vendors should choose whether they need that spacing to avoid the sidebar interfering with app features.

The right white margin is even more annoying, because there are no elements there to interfere on any app feature.

Is there any change of this changing again in the future?

Thanks.