Hiding native menus and menu items via code

Hi Guys,

I need to hide the “Boards” menu via code for a specific jira group. Is there any possible and secure way to do it other than java-script please?

Note : I tried to use the conditions inside my web-item but, it seems that I can’t override existent ones.

thanks,
Rosy

AFAIK you could take the source code and recompile the plugin that provides the menu with a new condition.

Boards is a web-section/web-item from the Jira Agile app (yes it still exists). In order to hide it you would have recompile Jira Software (not sure if we have access to that source code or not).

That said - if you’re wanting to hide this for a particular set of users then I’m guessing that those users aren’t supposed to be having access to Jira Software projects anyway so you could just remove the group from the Application Access (and save yourself some seats in the process).

Hi @sfbehnke,

I cannot re-compile the plugin and put it on the server as doing this will prevent our company from receiving and having frequent updates on JIRA application. I should not modify the code source of my JIRA instance.
Can you please propose another solution?

Thanks in advance,
Rosy

Hi @daniel,

I cannot re-compile the plugin and put it on the server as doing this will prevent our company from receiving and having frequent updates on JIRA application. I should not modify the code source of my JIRA instance.
Also, we want to hide this menu only from our client having a defined jira group. He should be able to access the other menus. Can you please help?

Thanks in advance,
Rosy

Your choice is to use javascript or to recompile the plugin. You’ve said you don’t want to do either, so there’s no other ways to accomplish this.

You might want to ask this question over at the end user community - https://community.atlassian.com to see how other administrators have solved this issue without doing development work.

That said, if you’re after the users not to have access to the Jira Software features (boards being one of them) - then the Application Access configuration would help you. If you’re wanting them not to see any boards, you could be implement a more restrictive board sharing in the permissions (i.e. only share with specific groups).

I will check, thanks @sfbehnke

Thanks a lot @daniel, I will