How my addon can request JIRA to move a ticket on the flow?

e.g. from In Progress --> Testing programatically. Will associated dialogs be displayed automatically when appropriate?

You can trigger the POST /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions rest call. See https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/issue-doTransition for more info.

1 Like

Yes, and this approach makes me responsible of mimicking JIRA behaviour on transition - which may be arbitrary composite: displaying associated dialog, understanding which fields are in there and tackling with various types of input fields, etc. Since transitioning tickets is so common I expected some API that actually calls the internal JIRA’s transition engine to do the work for me, similarly to what jira.openCreateIssueDialog(…) API does in case of creating an issue.

Can someone from Atlassian chime in on whether functionality related to this is on the roadmap at all?
As a developer, I want to be able to trigger workflow transitions via the UI, without having to recreate the necessary screens. Ideally, just give me a way to pop the dialog that JIRA already has.

@ademoss We’re planning our work for the next few months and additional ACJS functions akin to jira.openCreateIssueDialog() including transitions is definitely at the top of list of projects we’ve discussed; however we have not finalized our plans so it’s difficult for me to say exactly whether the scope will include transitions and when it would land in production. We need to prioritize across all requested improvements in ACJS for JIRA.

1 Like

Hi @dmeyer, thanks for the follow up. Is there anything we as community members/developers can do to contribute to this?

Hey @dmeyer, is there any update on this?
Is it now possible for an addon to show the transition dialogs? Or do I still have to recreate them myself?

Hi @ademoss,

No, we have not made any progress on this.

Dave

Hi @dmeyer, is there anything I (as a Vendor) can do to contribute to this?
I can think of a potentially pretty low hanging ways to accomplish this, which might be easier and better than me having to recreate the whole logic for generating transition screens.

Alternatively, does Atlassian perhaps have a snippet of JS logic for generating a transition screen based on a project’s workflow? (I mean something that isn’t officially in JIRA, but some code you could share to ease this burden?)

Hey @ademoss, if you have any ideas feel free to leave a comment on the issue.[quote=“ademoss, post:9, topic:1892”]
Alternatively, does Atlassian perhaps have a snippet of JS logic for generating a transition screen based on a project’s workflow? (I mean something that isn’t officially in JIRA, but some code you could share to ease this burden?)
[/quote]

I’m not aware of anything that we could share with you right now but I will discuss it with our team and come back to you if we can think of anything.

From what I understand, the dialogs for transitioning already exist. Not entirely sure what the technical challenges are to expose those in the same way as the create issue dialog.

Besides that though, If I remember correctly, there are standalone screens for transitions. I remember encountering them every now and then on the server side. Usually when something failed in Jira (js error, …etc). If that is the case, wouldn’t it be simple to take those very same screens, remove the chrome around them (jira header, footer, …etc) and just make a dialog with iframe, pointing to those very same existing screens? From a technical perspective, this should be almost trivial.
Unless I am completely wrong on those standalone screens of course.

Hope that helps