How to add an integration test?

Disclamer: clearly this could (and should) be done in a unit-test, but it’s created as a minimum example, as I’m struggling with the complete basics of how to reference a class from an integration test. The example in the plugin tutorials simply references the boilerplate test already present, and event the part about adding a “traditional integration test” simply does a println and an bogus assert.

To create the minimum example, I’ve created a new plugin with atlas-create-jira-plugin.

I have this basic class: HelperClass containing:

package com.nicolaj.cat.impl;

public class HelperClass {

private String name;

public HelperClass(String name) {
        this.name = name;
    }

public String getName(){
        return name;
    }

public void setName(String name){
        this.name = name;
    }

}

I would like to write a test for this that sets a state, reads it, changes the state and validates that the state has been changed. HelperClassTest contains:

package it.com.nicolaj.cat;

import com.atlassian.plugins.osgi.test.AtlassianPluginsTestRunner;
import com.nicolaj.cat.impl.HelperClass;
import org.junit.Test;
import org.junit.runner.RunWith;

import static org.junit.Assert.assertFalse;

@RunWith(AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.class)
public class HelperClassTest {

@Test
    public void someTest()
    {
        // Arrange
        HelperClass hc = new HelperClass("somestring");
        String before = hc.getName();

// Act
        hc.setName("newstring");
        String after = hc.getName();

// Assert
        assertFalse("The name hasn't changed!", before.equals(after));
    }

}

If I just run atlas-integration-test, I get an error NoClassDefFoundError for HelperClass. On Google I found the article: NoClassDefFoundError. It says to “make sure the class and package name are correct and that the class is declared as a component in its atlassian-plugin.xml .”

• The class and package name is correct. The class is called HelperClass and it’s in the package com.nicolaj.cat.impl which is imported with import com.nicolaj.cat.impl.HelperClass;.
  • When I add it as a component in atlassian-plugin.xml like below: (full atlassian-plugin.xml-file in the bottom)
<component key="helperClass" class="com.nicolaj.cat.impl.HelperClass" />

however, I get another error:

No tests found in class [it.com.nicolaj.cat.HelperClassTest]: No tests found in class [it.com.nicolaj.cat.HelperClassTest]

With the stack trace:

-------------------------------------------------------
 T E S T S
-------------------------------------------------------
Running it.com.nicolaj.cat.HelperClassTest
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] jan. 09, 2019 3:38:21 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.19 02/11/2015 03:25 AM'
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] jan. 09, 2019 3:38:21 PM com.sun.jersey.api.wadl.config.WadlGeneratorLoader loadWadlGenerator
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Loading wadlGenerator com.sun.jersey.server.wadl.generators.WadlGeneratorApplicationDoc
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] jan. 09, 2019 3:38:21 PM com.sun.jersey.api.wadl.config.WadlGeneratorLoader loadWadlGenerator
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Loading wadlGenerator com.atlassian.plugins.rest.doclet.generators.grammars.WadlGrammarsAdaptor
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Loading wadlGenerator com.atlassian.plugins.rest.doclet.generators.resourcedoc.AtlassianWadlGeneratorResourceDocSupport
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 2.286 sec <<< FAILURE!
No tests found in class [it.com.nicolaj.cat.HelperClassTest]  Time elapsed: 2.285 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.Exception: No tests found in class [it.com.nicolaj.cat.HelperClassTest]
        at com.atlassian.plugins.osgi.test.AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.runViaRestCall(AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.java:125)
        at com.atlassian.plugins.osgi.test.AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.run(AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.java:75)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:252)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:141)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:112)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:189)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:165)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:85)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:115)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:75)

My atlassian-plugin.xml-file looks like this:

<atlassian-plugin key="${project.groupId}.${project.artifactId}-tests" name="${project.name}" plugins-version="2">
    <plugin-info>
        <description>${project.description}</description>
        <version>${project.version}</version>
        <vendor name="${project.organization.name}" url="${project.organization.url}" />
    </plugin-info>

<!-- from our base plugin -->
    <component-import key="myComponent" interface="com.nicolaj.cat.api.MyPluginComponent"/>

<!-- from the product container -->
    <component-import key="applicationProperties" interface="com.atlassian.sal.api.ApplicationProperties" />

<component key="helperClass" class="com.nicolaj.cat.impl.HelperClass" />

</atlassian-plugin>

And my project structure looks like this:

Any advice would be helpful.

PS: I know that the above test should just be a unit-test, but it’s created as a minimum example of “an integration test that is not being picked up by junit.”