How to open a new ticket and pre-populate ticket data

Is it possible to open a new ticket in Jira Service Desk and pre-populate fields using a GET or POST? If so, how? Is there any documentation on what the request format should be.

Hi @JohnLovell. Welcome to the dev community. Here are some JSD cloud API docs on the create customer request method:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/api-group-request/#api-rest-servicedeskapi-request-post

Thank you for your response. With a POST request, would that open the new customer request in an existing browser tab? Or would it open the new customer request in a new tab/window?

@JohnLovell to make a POST call, you would normally do this on the backend, not with a web browser. In the docs you will find several examples of how to make the call with curl, Node, Python, Java, etc. There are some other REST test tools like Postman that make calling APIs easy + fun. :slight_smile:

understood… What I am investigating is how a different web application might open a new customer request object and display the object to the user to finish filling it out.

Scenario: The user is an agent who receives help desk calls using a web-based softphone application. The softphone web application needs to create a new customer request object in Jira Service Desk and pre-populate fields that have already been identified by the call center solution (i.e. Name, Account Number, etc.)

1 Like

Hi @JohnLovell,

Did you discover a way to implement your requirement.
I am currently searching for a solution for a similar problem.