Importing a Project Configuration to JIRA Cloud?

Hey Everyone,

I am working on an Integration with JIRA where I have to create a specific project configuration that our clients will use. I have been using the JIRA on-premise server to create the project configuration, then export it using Project Configurator.

Unfortunately, JIRA Cloud does not allow the Project Configurator add-on to be installed, meaning I cannot import my project configuring to a cloud instance. Configuration Manager is also not an option as it cannot be installed in the cloud instance either.

Is there another way that I can import a project configuration? I know you can backup a whole instance, but that will not produce the outcome I am looking for. I am not looking for a full instance import/export, just an import and export for a single project. Are there any alternatives or work-arounds I can do to accomplish essentially exporting a project’s configuration, and importing it to a JIRA Cloud instance?

Thanks,
Zach

You’re going to be limited by JIRA’s Project administration API (there’s not much). My suggestion would be to ask this question over at community.atlassian.com as well to see if there are admins there that may have a trick or two.

Hi @zach.s. I can tell you from bitter experience that you’ll be better off doing the configuration manually, rather than using an automated solution. Here is a list of the things you need to copy across:

• Workflows
  • Workflow schemes
  • Issue types
  • Issue type schemes
  • Issue link types
  • Statuses
  • Priorities
  • Resolutions
  • Screens
  • Screen schemes
  • Issue type screen schemes
  • Custom fields
  • Field configurations
  • Field configuration schemes
  • Field configuration scheme project assignments
  • Notification schemes
  • Permission schemes
  • Project roles
  • Issue Security project assignments

It sounds worse than it is in fact. The time you’ll spend researching, tweaking, running, debugging, and re-running an automated solution will far outweigh the time you’ll spend doing some manual keyboarding.