Introducing Data Residency for Connect Apps

Great, thanks. @SushantBista do you have an update? Just retested it and still getting installs from the global realm.

1 Like

As a follow-up to what was asked above, as a market vendor how do we get a test environment created in a specific realm?

2 Likes

Hi @g.j.streek, the data residency feature flag caused some issues for app installs - and so we have temporarily switched it off. This is the reason as to why your test app is getting assigned to global.

We are currently implementing the fix and planning to roll out to a selected number of test instances first, before doing a complete roll-out. I will update you once fix is in place to retest on your test instances. I apologise for any testing delays this may have caused.

Looking forward to that roll-out and the update!

1 Like

Hi Everyone, just an update that the data residency feature flag has been fully rolled out.

Please note that this is currently an EAP feature - and does not yet support realm migrations or a full customer experience (which is currently in the works).

Please let me know if you have any issues or questions.

1 Like

@SushantBista, just to clarify, how do we get a test instance with data residency for apps enabled? We just need to create a new Cloud instance pinned to a region?

2 Likes

Hi @VitorPelizza, yes a new cloud instance can be created. If you have existing test instances (which are already region pinned), these can also be used. After updating your app descriptor with the relevant regionBaseUrls, any subsequent app installs for a particular site go to the site region preference. If the region that the instance is pinned is not declared in the app descriptor, the app data will just go to the the default region outlined in the descriptor.

Is there any information on if/when the Atlassian Connect Express library will support this.

I can see the alternate regions URLs can be added into the descriptor with ACE, but currently I believe ACE always returns (global) localBaseUrl to users so even if the pinned instance initially connects to the regional stack, ACE will generate links/redirects to localBaseUrl?

1 Like

Hi @Chris_at_DigitalRose, ACE is currently not supported in data residency EAP. However there is a workaround via override of AC_LOCAL_BASE_URL.

We will be assessing ACE support for future releases. We will keep you updated as we progress with this.

Thanks,
Sushant

1 Like

Thank you @SushantBista for the information. We will try the workaround in the mean time.

The new install process is clear but what is the event flow for a customer that is moving from one region to another?

Now all data for my app is loaded in the EU, the Ireland AWS region to be precise. As I understand it the customer needs to uninstall and reinstall the app to move to the US. I would imagine that the customer would be expecting its data to be moved as well. Will the installation lifecycle include fields to indicate the region move? Or will the app need to handle this without being notified from Jira?

2 Likes

I am also intrested to know the answer for this scenario

lets say a user is using the product in a region and later pins to a specific region
which gets scheduled and migrated

do the existing(installed) apps get any notification like install event? so that the app specific data can be migrated.

@PurnaChandraBoyapati @markrekveld some of those questions are answered here How to migrate customers to the correct region after releasing data residency support

There’s a migration process that customers can trigger for their Jira/Confluence instances documented under the “Request a data residency move” section

While we’re moving your product to its new location, it will be offline and your users won’t be able to access it. This process takes around two to four hours, depending on the size and type of your data. You should, however, plan for your product to be offline for up to 24 hours.
This is due to how we schedule data residency moves. When you request a move, you select a 24-hour move window. We’ll start and finish your move during this time, but we cannot say exactly when. So you can follow our progress, we’ll email you when your move starts, and when it’s finished and your product is back online.

At the moment there are no Connect webhooks to allow apps to migrate their data during that migration window.

1 Like

Thank you.

do you have any idea about this is it relevant ? seems to be old one.

Thanks for the links, especially the seeking feedback one.

1 Like

Hi,

When pinning an Atlassian instance to a specific region I have noticed that the prior regionBaseUrl is still used.

It only updates to the correct regionBaseUrl after a reinstall of the app.

Should this URL switch be happening without the need for a reinstall?

Thanks

1 Like

Not yet. Atlassian are working on a Connect integration that will let apps move their data during the host product move as far as I know, once that’s complete and apps have integrated with it then moving the region of the host product can trigger changing the region specific app domain that’s being used.

Hi all,

I just wanted to circle back on this discussion and ask the following questions:

• Is Data Residency for apps now considered production-ready, EAP or “experimental”?
  • What are the plans (timelines) on the Atlassian side for supporting realm-to-realm migration for apps?

Thank you.

3 Likes

seems this thread is more active

Anyone from Atlassian who would like to respond to Community request: a final definitive complete all encompassing announcement on Data Residency?

1 Like