Introducing Data Residency for Connect Apps

Hi Nick, we’re targeting Q3 2021 (calendar). I’ll need to confirm that the region support in product automatically flows on to apps, but am pretty sure it does, or can follow very soon after.

The current behaviour of Connect is as follows: If an instance is in a given realm, say the EU, and an application supports the EU and the US, it will install into the EU regardless of whether the instance is an Enterprise instance that has data residency enabled.

• Is this also true for our developer instances?
  • What happens when uninstalling / reinstalling an app, will it determine the realm as if this was a new app or will it use the realm from the previous installation?

Really interested in an answer to @dbenson 's question as well. Will there be any indicator in the lifecycle call of the realm the app is installed for? Especially when reusing the same url for different realm, like for example for global and US.

1 Like

@g.j.streek I’ve got an answer from Atlassian about this. The realm is set at instance creation time. This means that if a customer pinned to EU and has your app installed, once your app starts supporting data residency, Jira will still use the previous app URL and nothing will change.

Thanks @VitorPelizza. Any idea on how to test a regional install from a developer instance?

What happens when uninstalling / reinstalling an app, will it determine the realm as if this was a new app or will it use the realm from the previous installation?

When re-installing an app, there is no record of the previous installation, so it will behave as if it was a new installation. It won’t automatically re-use the same installation URL. If the customer’s site is still in the same realm, then it will use the same installation URL.

1 Like

@g.j.streek unfortunately I didn’t try it myself, but I suppose you’ll need to create a new Cloud instance from scratch so that you can choose a specific realm for it.

Hey @HeyJoe, do you think you guys would be able to summarise the discussions and the current behaviour for app installations in a proper developer’s documentation? I think that’d be super helpful for everyone.

Thank you.

3 Likes