Introducing the Developer Canary Program

Hi developer community,

In 2020, we started an initiative called Jira/Confluence Cloud First Releases for Ecosystem which enabled a developer to enroll their cloud instances to receive Atlassian’s latest cloud platform APIs, features, and changes.

We’re happy to announce that we’ve made improvements by branding this program as the Developer Canary Program and introducing two new apps (one for Jira and one for Confluence) that you can install on your test instances.

Those who submitted their cloud instances as part of Jira/Confluence Cloud First Releases initiative (via the Google Forms) will continue to be part of this program even if they don’t install these apps.

Check out the blog for more information.

This program is part of our efforts to improve Partner Sentiment and Stability and Reliability with our Developer and Partner Community. For more details on our efforts on improving Ecosystem Platform and Marketplace Stability and Reliability, follow our updates here.

*Marketplace Partners with at least 1 paid-via-Atlassian app qualify for Partner Portal resources. If you experience any issues getting access, and meet the eligibility criteria, please open a support ticket and our team will work to get things resolved as quickly as possible.

11 Likes

Thanks for the improvement!

You can un-enroll and re-enroll the tenant in the DCP program if you wish to compare the behaviour of your app. When you un-enroll, the changes won’t be available to your tenant.

What happens to instances that were part of the earlier “Cloud First Releases initiative” and install this app as well? Will it still rollback the first-cohort features on those instances when deactivating the toggle in the app? Or are we still enrolled, no matter how the toggle is configured?

Also, is there any delay when unenrolling until the first-cohort features are being rolled back?

1 Like

I tried installing the apps on the site which enrolled on the Jira Cloud First Release previously.
Got the error message

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 6.30.58 PM

Maybe this is to avoid conflict?

@BenRomberg This app uses the same cohort as the Cloud First Releases initiative. If you install the app on an instance that’s already enrolled, you will see the app’s toggle already enabled. You can turn off the toggle to unenroll your instance, or just use the app to keep track of which instances you enrolled.

As for a delay, you get unenrolled immediately, but how each feature responds depends on how it is engineered to read feature flags. Most of the time, you should see the change immediately. Unenrolling your instance has the same practical effect as if we had turned off the feature flag ourselves to conduct a rollback.

4 Likes

@huasoon It shouldn’t be a problem to install the app on an instance that’s already enrolled. The app is part of the very same program.

Please try again later, and if it still persists, let us know if you see any errors in the Network tab of your browser’s developer console. You may also be able to get it working on a new instance.

2 Likes

Hi @mventnor ,

I managed to install it successfully for other Cloud sites.
It is still giving me error for 1 site.
The error is status 404 for https://marketplace.atlassian.com/gateway/api/marketplace/internal/demand/site-details/cloud-id/XXXXXXXXXX

I am unable to find a suitable request type at Submit a support request to create a ticket

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the clarification! Installed the app and it worked exactly as you described :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the great improvements.

Any chance that you also offer a canary program for Bitbucket Cloud?

2 Likes

This is great!

Can I ask for a feature of the app? The ability to quickly raise an issue from within the context of the Developer Canary instance. If we’re going to be canaries, we should also be able to sing from within our cage :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

@michael.rueegg We don’t have any plans yet for Bitbucket Cloud. If anything comes up, we will let you know.

1 Like

Interesting idea. I have noted this down as feature request. Thanks for the feedback @remie :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.