Is every user forced to "allow access"?

I’ve refined permission scopes and replaced asUser() with asApp(); the documentation of which is confusing. Still getting the “allow access” screen for every user.

I would expect if an admin grants access, it would do so for all users.

Are you guys seriously only removing the user consent screen in Oct-Dec 2022?

You recognize yeah how truly awful that UX is in production?

Particularly awful when a new user inserts a macro and is required to first publish the page before they can click the “Allow access” button.

8 Likes

I would also like to highlight this. We were just discussing it in the vendor chat and everyone thinks this is horrible.
The worst thing is that vendors do not see the real amount of bad user feedback, as many users will give up and not consent and then use the app.

I think this is a real blocker for forge adoption and I wish Atlassian could expedite this feature

5 Likes

@nathanwaters @ernst.stefan

I understand the frustration given the “tease” back in October last year:

That said, the most effective mechanism for prompting action is to watch, vote, and comment on the issue:
https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/FRGE-515

Please express your needs there.

Unfortunately though - we’re told to direct our needs at We're removing the allow access prompt for Forge apps - #19 which is closed. :frowning:

Either way - one year in order for things to be delivered (according to Trello ) seems less than optimal.

1 Like

@danielwester,

I can’t defend the overall pace. But can you point me to where you’ve been directed to the closed thread?

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/FRGE-515

Maybe it’s just me but “FYI we have an update on user consent here” - tells me that this is where the latest update is (which is closed) which leaves me as as a reporter/concerned individual lost… :frowning:

It’s as if nobody on the Forge team has installed and tried to use a Forge Confluence macro.

The roadmap is currently prioritizing aesthetics and new features over blocking UX fixes.

agreed, I see a lot of work happening on Connect to Forge, it even seems to be a focus of developer day - but to be quite clear - no one will move from Connect to Forge with the current state of things. My timeline, if I’d be doing this today would be July for an MP release - and then have my users deal with the consent screen for 5 months? I don’t think that makes sense.

I have outlined my concerns in the Jira ticket as well

Echoing the last few points. For teams trying to build Confluence apps that leverage macros the current Forge state is a bit rough. Key points are:

Sharing the tickets and points in case anyone wants to add a vote (if you haven’t already).

3 Likes

Wow, this is the lowest I have been with Forge. Our customers are totally confused, as I am after trying to use Forge app and seeing the way this workflow is designed.

I am 100% convinced nobody at Atlassian uses Forge except for building hello world app.

This issue which is CRITICAL was reported by vendors last year in October, but it is still not fixed after a year. Just wow!

@chhantyal,

True, the issue has been open a long time. And I share your frustration from working through this with some vendors. I have come to understand “this issue” seems to be more “a compound issue”, where there are multiple causes for the same symptom so it’s not for lack of understanding how critical the problem is. I have seen Forge engineering ship at least 3 fixes for the problem so far. To really close this out, they are going to need more details. Therefore, I strongly recommend reporting all relevant details to developer support:

The underlying causes are auth related where the only effective means we have to troubleshoot are to get into logs and understand specific auth flows, which require sharing details that should remain secure between you and Atlassian. As a rule, we’re unlikely to solve auth problems with generic details shared on CDAC or on FRGE bugs.

Thank you for your persistence.

1 Like

Hi @ibuchanan thank you for the suggestion, appreciate it.

I have opened a support ticket with ‘Major’ severity, let’s hope we will get timely response. Our support channel for Forge app is currently flooding with this issue.

Hi there,

Just FYI, I can see that an update on this matter has actually been provided 3 days ago in the below thread:

1 Like

Gotta love the corporate drone language. Your jobs are safe, it’s ok, speak freely. Just be like “yeah it sucks, there’s apparently weird auth issues the team is working through… we probably shouldn’t have launched Forge in this state”. Nothing has changed, the roadmap is still Oct-Dec 2022 (Atlassian time; it’s like 2X Elon time).

But yeah, the dysfunctional hierarchy of mega-corporates is fairly evident here. The Forge PMs likely have not inserted a macro into a Confluence page up until this point. Had they done so they wouldn’t have made the call to push Forge from beta to production. Or maybe they’ve recently inserted a macro and gone “oh shit, oh no, is that really what users see? And they can’t click the allow button inside the editor? Really? We actually pushed that live? Ummmm, god damn, ok…”

I have 21 Forge apps live on the marketplace. I’m the single largest vendor by volume for both Connect and Forge. The entire Atlassian developer ecosystem from a DX perspective is unnecessarily painful when compared to other enterprise app platforms. Forge generally is a mess, but this single UX flaw is the primary factor preventing me from charging a cent for those apps, because the user experience is primitive and not what you expect of a $30B company.

Literally just had a support ticket titled “Why this plug-in is not working properly?” with a screenshot of the Allow Access prompt.

JFC.

I think most folks on this thread already know that we’ve released a preview feature to address this. But for those who stumble on this later: Simplified user consent for Forge (Preview).

2 Likes