Is there a way to update a user's avatar in Jira Cloud?

I’m looking for a way to modify users’ avatars in Jira Cloud via an API method. I can retrieve the avatar URLs via the get user method, but I can’t find a way to modify this property of a user. Is this possible in Jira Cloud? Can someone point me to documentation on this?

Hi @jmiles,

In Cloud, we don’t have a public API for changing avatars or user profile information. Unlike Server, accounts in Cloud are shared across multiple Atlassian products, they aren’t just in Jira.

Bummer. Any plans for such an API in the future, or should I consider this a non-starter and not put any hope into a possible solution? If possible, I’d like to submit this as a feature request with the use case of organizations updating internal “customer” (other employees’) photos and other data in order to build out their profiles more fully with data we already have in other systems (HR, G Suite, etc).

Since your use case is enterprise: if the client uses Atlassian Access, you can use those REST APIs to update a user’s profile. However avatar isn’t one of the properties that can be updated.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/about/