Is there an ETA on "removing the allow access prompt for Forge apps"

This seems to be a day 1 request. Is the a reliable ETA on this? I am starting a new App. This is a critical factor for me to choose between ACE and Forge.

This card is at the bottom of the WIP list while it is the top for partners. Very interesting.

1 Like

I’m sure Adam will update it to next quarter soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Should have never shipped to production given the hilariously amateur UX of rendering an unclickable “Allow access” button for Forge macros inside the Confluence editor.

1 Like

@nathanwaters (unfortunately) you read my mind :slight_smile: :sob:

As I said on the Trello card, I’m really sorry for pushing the date out again. I know everyone uses the roadmap to make important decisions about what and how to build. That’s why we try and be transparent as we can about when we expect things to land.

In this case, it just turned out to be a more complicated project than anyone on the team expected. All I can promise is we’re committed to solving it and we’ll do whatever we can to get it over the line next quarter.

Hi @AdamMoore , thanks for your reply. While I have you here, do you happen to know if “context menu” module is going to be ported back to Connect?

I really want to use “context menu” but don’t want to take the risk of using Forge in the new application. I may consider migration it to Forge once the UX issue is solved.

The page.view.selection/action-panel web item should give you similar functionality in Connect

Hello @AdamMoore, I appreciate your response. After reading Deprecation of Connect JS getSelectedText API for security reasons, it seems that a Connect App cannot retrieve the selected text, which undermines the very purpose for which I intended to use this functionality.

1 Like

Next quarter lol? I hazard a guess there’s a decent five-figure monthly sum I’m leaving on the table because I can’t possibly justify charging customers for such awful fkn UX.

2 Likes

We’re getting really close. We’re testing it on our internal apps at the moment and just fixing a few bugs. Still hoping to get it out this month, but it will be early July at the latest.

8 Likes

This is now ready! Please have a look at the Simplified user consent for Forge (Preview) changelog entry for more details.

8 Likes

Awesome! Just wondering: will admins still get the prompt and have to navigate the unclickable “allow access” button while inserting a macro (ie editing a page), or is that fixed with this update too?

1 Like

It goes away for admins too, they’ll just see the install screen when they install the app onto the site. Nothing when using macros etc.

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks dude. Forge apps are now useable for the first time in over two years. I’ve deployed to all my apps. Auto-updating apps really needs to be next on the agenda.

2 Likes

HĂ­ @AdamMoore ,

this is really great - thanks to you and the team!

As already stated, the downside is the major update. Are there any best-practices to notify the admin about the necessity to manually update?

Another thing that we didn’t expect, but hoped to be fixed is FRGE-193 Allow Forge app scopes to be optional when product isn’t available
We are still forced to deploy a second (extension) app (Awesome custom fields for JSM | Atlassian Marketplace) to be compatible with vanilla Jira and Jira + JSM.

Cheers,
paul

1 Like