I have a few questions regarding automatic version update of my Jira Cloud app, listed on marketplace. According to the documentation:
Any change to your service that does not alter your app descriptor will be immediately available to users and will not result in a new version on Marketplace.
Then, it says:
We automatically increment the version for your app as follows:
- The major version is incremented (e.g., from 1.2.3 to 2.0.0) when you specify an API version update (e.g., from 1.0 to 2.0). The new major version matches the API version listed in your descriptor.
- The minor version is incremented (e.g., from 1.2.3 to 1.3.0) when you specify increase/changed scopes, and/or when you update licensing from free to paid. Customers must manually approve updates for minor version updates.
- The micro version is incremented (e.g., from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4) when you make any other descriptor changes not included above that do not require manual approval.
These scenarios require manual customer approval:
- Your listing changes from free to paid : Your change triggers a Marketplace approval. Existing customers need to approve the change to start paying for your app, otherwise they will need to uninstall it.
- Your listing involves additional scopes: Marketplace updates happen automatically (no approval necessary), but customers need to approve the changes to continue using your app.
So, summing up:
- if I do not change my descriptor, there is no new version created on marketplace and the app is immediately consumed by our customers.
- Only in the case of changing scopes or licensing, there is an automatic version created on the marketplace (a minor version) that requires manual approve from our customers.
So, I assume that if I change a panel label from a module (for instance), it wouldn’t request our users to manually update. It would be an automatic update on our customers instance as well.
However, apparently there are some customers who are required to manual update the app when every time there is a new version released on the marketplace (even if the new version does not update neither scopes or licensing).
So, I have several questions:
The documentation is wrong and every descriptor update requires manual approve?
What about this particular case? When a new version is released but there are no changes on scopes or licensing but there is the “Update” button in the manage apps page. If the customer does not perform any action, the app is updated automatically?