Jira Forge: Failed to start tunnel, could not establish a connection

Hi team,

It was working perfectly fine last week but today, forge tunnel is giving me the following error:

forge tunnel --verbose
Warning: Forge CLI currently supports Active LTS or Maintenance LTS releases of Node.js only. 
Update Node.js from version v17.6.0 to an LTS release to continue using Forge CLI.
Learn more about LTS releases at https://nodejs.org/en/about/releases. 

Tunnel redirects requests you make to your local machine. This occurs for any Atlassian site where your app is installed in the development environment. You will not see requests from other users.
Press Ctrl+C to cancel.

Checking Docker image... 100%   
Your Docker image is up to date.
▶️  GraphQL https://api.atlassian.com/graphql
Query: 
      mutation forge_cli_deleteApplicationTunnels($input: DeleteAppTunnelInput!) {
        deleteAppTunnels(input: $input) {
          success
          errors {
              errorType
            }
          }
        }
      }

Variables: {
  "input": {
    "appId": "ari:cloud:ecosystem::app/f6d70118-d07c-40e8-bc6d-485003065928",
    "environmentKey": "default"
  }
}
◀️  GraphQL
Request ID: 470c4ced560e4ebc
Result: {
  "deleteAppTunnels": {
    "success": true,
    "errors": null
  }
}

Error: Failed to start tunnel, could not establish a connection.

Error: Failed to start tunnel, could not establish a connection.
    at NgrokCreateTunnelService.establishTunnel (/tunnel/node_modules/@forge/tunnel/out/tunnelling/services/create-tunnel-service.js:24:19)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:95:5)
    at async StartTunnelCommand.startFaaSTunnelServer (/tunnel/node_modules/@forge/tunnel/out/tunnelling/command/start-tunnel-command.js:37:35)
    at async StartTunnelCommand.execute (/tunnel/node_modules/@forge/tunnel/out/tunnelling/command/start-tunnel-command.js:70:38)
    at async Object.exports.runTunnel (/tunnel/node_modules/@forge/tunnel/out/index.js:31:24)

I saw this article from 2021 but did not see any new changes.

Can anyone please shed a light on this?

I’m unable to reproduce the problem on our end.

Perhaps there was a network issue? Is it working now by chance?

I have not been able to resolve it yet.

I see the Docker image created but the container hangs and disconnects.

Perhaps adding more logs around this line might help:

at NgrokCreateTunnelService.establishTunnel (/tunnel/node_modules/@forge/tunnel/out/tunnelling/services/create-tunnel-service.js:24:19)

Interesting.

Would you be able to run forge tunnel again with --verbose

The trace id will likely reveal something on our end.

I did. Please see my original post ^

:person_facepalming: sorry about that. Don’t know how I didn’t see that. I’ll take another look.

I’m unable to see anything on our side. The error you have would also suggest a problem between your computer and ngrok’s side.
Would you be able to install ngrok and run ngrok http 80 to see if there are errors there?

You’re right our logging in that area could be more descriptive. Would you be able to raise a ticket in Log in with Atlassian account?