Jira issue retrieval in Excel VBA : returns "Browser Not supported by Jira" html document

Hi there,
We have a strange new issue cropping up in Jira issue retrieval code that has been working for years.

We have client reports in Excel which implement VBA to retrieve project Jira issues. We formulate the Jira issue REST query, and use XMLHTTP60 to send and then receive the Jira issue JSON.

We use Jira token and user account for authorization, as required.

The queries are working for most managers, however some are now failing, and the result of the query, instead of paged Jira issues in JSON, is an html document with the title “Browser Not Supported By Jira”.

The status return for the query is 200, which is “OK”.

I would certainly appreciate any information that would help me determine a cause of why this is failing, and why instead of a status error, or the results JSON, we are returning an html document.

Thank you,
Eric

1 Like

Hi Eric, we are having the same problems.

I noticed the issue on a Virtual machine on Saturday morning, after it was working on Friday night. I noticed that Windows 10 had installed two Windows updates, one regarding the removal of Flash Player and one regarding updating .NET. My other machines who had not yet installed that update, did not have the problem.

I did a Windows reset (remove all apps but keep personal files) of the affected machine and it is now working again, even with the most recent Windows updates.

I now have one more affected machine, but I am yet to try the reset option with it. I have turned off Windows Updates on all other machines and they are working fine. So I am interested to see if others have the same problem and have a solution for us.

Thanks for the info, Joe.

I was able to solve the issue by utilizing instead the ServerXmlHttp60 service.

Thanks,
E

Thanks Eric, that did the trick

I’m having the same issue and using XMLHTTP60 did not change the result.

I was also unsuccessful getting ServerXMLHTTP60 to work. I always receive a 400 or 404 error.

I’m using Basic encryption with an API Token and my email, with Base64 encryption of the email:token string.

It works just fine when I test it from Postman. If I modify the User-Agent to spoof a new version of Firefox, I receive an “XSRF check failed” message. I added the header “X-Atlassian-Token: no-check” with no effect.

Here’s the code:

encodedAuth = EncodeBase64(username + ":" + apiToken)

Set httpReq = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP.6.0")

With httpReq
    .Open "POST", url, False
    .SetRequestHeader "Content-Type", "application/json"
    .SetRequestHeader "Accept", "application/json"
    .SetRequestHeader "Authorization", "Basic " & encodedAuth
    .SetRequestHeader "X-Atlassian-Token", "no-check"
    ' With this line included I get the response "XSRF check failed"
    '.SetRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:95.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/95.0"
    .Send
End With

' Here httpReq.ResponseText will contain the HTML for the "Browser not supported by Jira" response

It feels like I’m so close, but just can’t get the JIRA API to accept the request. Any ideas?

@DanielHochee,

Out of curiosity, why not use a Marketplace App? Jira Cloud for Excel (official) is built by Atlassian and free. And there are dozens of others offering all kinds of bells and whistles.

That said, the REST API should work from VBA. Can you indicate what URL you are trying to reach?

I have had the same problem, but I have detected that the same code works on a machine with W10 home and does not work on another machine with W10 professional, I can’t see why this happens.
I have verified that if I make the call with insomnia, from the machine with a professional W10, the answer is correct.
this happens for all the JIRA Clouds that I manage.
if however For the JIRA servers, I don’t have this problem.

It seems that it is a problem with the browser that uses the default call, I have added .setRequestHeader “User-Agent”, “Edg / 90.0.818.46” to the code and it works correctly for me.

1 Like