Jira REST API Version 3 Beta

I wanted to know more about the Jira Cloud Rest API version 3 beta. We have a couple questions regarding this:

1. Is the version 3 beta enabled by default for everyone that uses Jira Cloud?

I understand to either call v2 or v3, this is included within the URL and this is seen below:

Get Issue:  
v2: GET /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}
v3: GET /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}

I also want to note there is also another way to call the endpoint by calling latest that resolves to the latest version supported by the given Jira instance. It is stated that the current API version is 2, for example:

Get Issue:  
GET /rest/api/latest/issue/{issueIdOrKey} 
  1. Does this symbolic link, /rest/api/latest/, always point to version 2 i.e can an admin change this link to point to the version 3 beta for that given Jira instance?

Thanks

Yes.

Admins cannot change where latest points. Please do not use latest as a path parameter in any production code. Atlassian might change that at any time. And that might be to point at some imaginary v4 API that breaks all of these paths and with payloads in some other serialization format. Pin to a version and accept changes in API versions intentionally.

1 Like

Thanks for your response @ibuchanan, I would also like to clarify if latest currently points to v2 for all Jira Cloud customers and not to v3? This will allow us to pin to version 2 safely if we know latest currently points to v2 for every single Jira cloud customers.

@automatedtesting,

Yes, I confirm latest is an alias for version 2 for all Jira Cloud customers, as of today. I’m not aware this would be changing soon (certainly not without announcement) but it will “float” at some point. I’m glad to hear you plan to change your URL paths to a fixed version.

1 Like