Jira Software Cloud Rest API Question

Hi All -

I’m a newbie to the Jira landscape. We just started using Jira Software Cloud hosted. I was hoping to be able to use the Rest API to create and search/retrieve issues. I’ve been looking at as much of the API documentation as I can find and it looks like creating and searching/retrieving is NOT possible via the Jira Software Cloud REST API.

Is that true? Am I missing something?

@MattKlein1 welcome to the Atlassian developer community.

Yes and no. Yes, you are right that the Jira Software Cloud REST API does not provide endpoints for search/retrieve issues. But, no, that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. As the documentation explains:

Jira Software is built on the Jira platform. As such, there is an overlap in functionality between what is provided by Jira Software and what is provided by the Jira platform. The REST API reference for the Jira Cloud platform is here: Jira Cloud platform REST API.

Or, to put it more directly, you can do what you need with the issues resource from the Jira platform APIs.

Thank you very much for the information. I’ll take a look at the Jira Cloud platform REST API. I appreciate the heads up!