New "Add a Gadget" sidebar in Jira dashboards crops gadget thumbnail images

I just discovered that Jira Cloud dashboards have the new “Add a Gadget” sidebar (instead of the previous popup) which renders all available gadgets and their thumbnail images. The problem is that all thumbnail images are cropped as squares with a full height but a reduced width. As a result all thumbnails look broken (even the default Jira ones) as previously they had width > height.

This breaks the rendering of app dashboard item thumbnails as well (as in our case the logo is cropped). It could be fixed by providing a square thumbnail image for dashboard items in the app descriptor.

I could not find any announcement about this change and do not see any dashboard item thumbnail format description where it is mentioned that it should be a square image.

Atlassian, please provide the clarification about this change and update the documentation.

Kind regards,
Raimonds

1 Like

Hi @raimonds.simanovskis ,

We’ve contacted the team that look after the Jira Cloud Dashboards functionality and they recognise this is a bug. We are now trying to ascertain whether there is a public facing issue you can track and if there is an estimate of when this will be fixed.

Regards,
Dugald

1 Like

Hi @raimonds.simanovskis ,

The Jira Cloud team have indicated they are going to fix the thumbnail aspect ratio today. In my experience, it will take a few business days to get the fix rolled out.

Regards,
Dugald

5 Likes

There is now a ticket for this: JRACLOUD-77352.

4 Likes

I checked that the problem is solved now.
Thanks for the quick fix.

Kind regards,
Raimonds

2 Likes