New Issue View Condition

REPOST

In order to support users in both the Old and New Issue views, what condition can we use in the atlassian-connect.json to determine whether we are in old or new mode? We have a large content panel that is displayed as issueContents in new mode, but on a tab panel in old mode.

The problem is that right now in new mode we have the panel twice, both as issueContents AND as a Tab.

ie. (desired behavior)
New Issue View - show in jiraIssueContents module
Old Issue View - show in jiraIssueTabPanel

Thanks in advance,
Chris

1 Like

Hi @Chris_at_DigitalRose,

Your post implies your issue content panel is appearing as a tab panel - is this correct or does your app also declare a tab panel?

I think you only need to declare an issue content panel which will appear as a web panel at atl.jira.view.issue.left.context in the old view.

Regards,
Dugald

1 Like

Hi Dugald, thank you for responding. The tab panel was added manually as a new module because the issue content panel only appears in the new issue view.

However, based on your location note I tried adding an additional web panel in the atl.jira.view.issue.left.context location and found that it is only rendered in the old Issue view.

Unsure whether this is intended behavior, but it does solve the problem for the app. Thank you.

For reference, below is the issue content panel that does not appear in old view.

"jiraIssueContents": [
            {
                "key": "sig-content-panel",
                "weight": 100,
                "name": { "value": "Signatures" },
                "icon": {
                    "width": 24,
                    "height": 24,
                    "url": "/image/sig_icon.svg"
                },
                "target": {
                    "type": "web_panel",
                    "url": "/sig-content?issueKey={issue.key}"
                },
                "tooltip": {
                    "value": "Signatures"
                }
            }
        ],

I was assuming the issue content panel would display at atl.jira.view.issue.left.context in the old view based on the following statement in New issue view UI locations, but it seems my interpretation is off:

The quick-add pattern is backwards compatible with the atl.jira.view.issue.left.context location

I’ll see if I can get some help from the Jira Ecosystem team.

Regards,
Dugald

The Jira team have confirmed that webpanels in the atl.jira.view.issue.left.context location are not rendered in the new issue view. They are going to prioritise a fix.

Regards,
Dugald

Hmmm… Fixing the issue to add in the left.context location in to new issue view will actually cause the original problem to re-appear in that my app panel will show twice in the new view. (once as content panel and once as web panel). and once in the old view (web panel)

Instead would it be possible to have the content-panel show in the old view for backwards compatibility, or have a condition so the old web panel can be turned off in the new view (once fixed).

Thank you (and the Atlassian dev team)

The majority of users are on the new issue view so your issue content module should be experienced by the majority of your users. However, the target panel referred to by the issue content module will not show up for the few people who do elect to use the old issue view. If the experience offered by this panel is critical to your app and you feel it must be available in both views, then you’ll have to declare another panel and to avoid this showing up in two locations, you’ll have to remove the issue content module.

Note that our goal is to offer the best experience to people using the new issue view and remove the old issue view.

Regards,
Dugald

I am struggling to understand the perspective that it should be required to break an app in the old issue view to leverage the new content panel, which is part of the Atlassian future direction. (a direction that my team has embraced with quick add and content panel).

My our metrics 40% of our page views are still against legacy issue view, so you are asking us to choose between breaking the app for 40% of the customers, or show a duplicate panel for 60% of users.

maybe your team can just cancel the fix to bring forward the alt.left panel location into the new issue view?

Sincerely,
Chris

Do we know which decision was taken? In my observations, atl.jira.view.issue.left.context only appears in the old issue vue today, but is intended?

It was always intended that tab panels and issue contents modules would coexist in an app descriptor and that only the relevant one would appear, depending on whether the user is viewing the old view or the new view.