Oauth bearer token and JWT sub field

I am completing work on implementing user impersonation through the oauth2 bearer token.

My question is regarding the sub key in JWT tokens that contains the userkey. I understand that we will no longer be able to impersonate users through the sub field in the JWT claim on 8/1/2017. However, will Atlassian still continue to provide the userkey in the sub field of the claim when making requests to the add-on. We currently use the sub to resolve the user key. I haven’t found anything in the documentation that says this will change, so we are assuming that the userkey will still be available in the token claim. However, I would really like to be sure of this. Please confirm if this is accurate.

Hi @jan.revis,
where did you learn about sub claims not being supported after Aug 1? We rely heavily on this feature in our add-on! I am very surprised we haven’t been warned much more explicitly of this change, knowing that Atlassian has an exhaustive list of add-ons that have been whitelisted to be able to make sub claims.
Thanks,
David

Hi David,

To clarify, that was for Confluence add-ons. I’m not certain if JIRA is affected. I was notified because I am registered as an owner of a white listed add-on.

I have received confirmation that the sub field will still be provided in JWT claims used to sign requests from confluence to the add-on. The sub field will just not be able to perform user impersonation when the add-on makes requests to confluence, so white listed add-ons will act as the add-on user when performing REST calls. We’re supposed to use bearer tokens for user impersonation going forward.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/oauth-2-jwt-bearer-token-authorization-grant-type/

If you’re using the sub field in the token from Confluence to identify the user that should continue to work as I understand it.

Regards,
Jan

Hi @dfischer

Addon vendors on the whitelist were notified individually about the deprecation in favour of the new OAuth 2.0 functionality. Unfortunately there may have been a mixup with contact info here. I will message you privately to discuss an extension.

Regards
David Boyd
Atlassian Connect

Hi David ,

Can you let me know what “Addon vendors on the whitelist” means in the context of Atlassian Cloud Plugin ?

Regards
Ajay