App migrations looking stuck has been a leading pain point for customers performing server to cloud app migration using Cloud Migration Assistants. This often results in customers contacting both Atlassian and marketplace partners. One of the major reasons for app migration looking stuck is server side listener failures.
What’s a server side listener failure and how it can impact app migration ?
Server apps can face issues when executing server side listener method (
onStartAppMigration ) and stop the execution with an uncaught exception. We have seen cases where this leads to app migrations looking stuck, as their cloud apps were not aware of server side listener failures and had not updated their transfer status to a settled state.
Yeah, there’s a good news, we are closing this gap, your cloud apps can know the occurrence of server side listener failures :
This feature will be released in few weeks (ETA : mid November 2022) and will be available for app migrations using CCMA v3.3.7 and JCMA v1.7.2 onwards.
To close this gap related to server side listener failure, App migration platform is introducing,
- a new web hook event type (
listener-errored) to notify the cloud apps that the execution of your server side listener method (
onStartAppMigration) has stopped with an exception
- a new connect end point to fetch details about the server side failure
What must my cloud apps do on receiving
listener-errored web hook event ?
– Update the status of your transfer which is essential for an acceptable customer app migration experience
It is essential for your cloud apps to update the status of app migration transfers periodically and finally set a meaningful settled status for all your transfers to avoid bad customer experiences due to stuck app migrations.
On receiving a
- your cloud app must update the transfer status to a meaningful settled status based on data received so far from your server app, if your server app stops performing migration operations for a given transfer on termination of
- your cloud app must continue sending periodic status updates and finally update the transfer to a meaningful settled status, otherwise
– Use server side error details for improving your app migration reliability
Look for common issues why your server side listener is failing and fix (if it’s an issue that can be fixed in your server app) or report (if you believe it’s an issue related to App migration platform) such issues to improve the reliability of your app migration. As you might already know, Apps with higher migration success rates are promoted as reliable app for migration with Cloud Migration Assistants.