org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.8.1-jboss-1:testCompile failed.: NullPointerException

This only comes when i run package command second time. The reason I am running package command twice is because if I install it after running it once, I get missing dependency error.

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 13.843 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2020-07-24T14:56:13-04:00
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.8.1-jboss-1:testCompile (default-testCompile) on project issue-sync-client: Execution default-testCompile of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.8.1-jboss-1:testCompile failed.: NullPointerException → [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] PluginExecutionException - Apache Maven - Apache Software Foundation

After more debugging, i found out this error is specifically related to below dependency.

<dependency>
            <groupId>com.atlassian.jira</groupId>
            <artifactId>jira-core</artifactId>
            <version>8.5.4</version>
            <scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

Can someone from Atlassian provide some guidance, as I don’t have any alternatives of this build failure?

Everything above was working for version 7.6.x, it stopped only after upgrade to 8.5.4.

@tjoy, @DamianKedzierski @Kantega
Can you please take a look.

Update 1:

Made a mistake found out that the problem was not with Jira core. It was with below dependency.

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.projectlombok</groupId>
            <artifactId>lombok</artifactId>
            <version>1.18.12</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>