Project Permissions conditions

The Project Permissions module has a conditions property; what’s it for?

1 Like

Hi @david.pinn,

It’s a good question. Whilst I haven’t used it directly, I believe it allows an app to define custom permissions that and administrator may assign to users. For example, say there’s a time tracking app, maybe a custom permission would pertain to reviewing a time sheet? The app could define this custom permission as a project permission and then use it to make its “review timesheets panel” only visible if the permission is satisfied by the logged in user. Conceivably my example makes more sense for a global permission module, but hopefully it’s good enough to explain its use. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Regards,
Dugald

I think you’ve captured the essence of the Project Permissions module very nicely there, @dmorrow. What’s less clear to me is the purpose of the conditions property that you can specify in the declaration of a Project Permissions module. I mean, one can refer to a Project Permission in a condition on a different module, say a Web Item, but what’s the purpose of the conditions property in the Project Permission declaration?

1 Like

I should have read your question more carefully. ( ; •ー_一 •)
The description of the conditions property implies it is referring to a UI element when it isn’t:

Conditions can be added to display only when all the given conditions are true.

I’ll see if someone from the Jira Ecosystem team can enlighten us.

1 Like

Hi @david.pinn,

A quick update - the Jira Ecosystem team intend to take a look at this and respond.

Regards,
Dugald

Hi @david.pinn,

I have read your question and I were aslo very confused trying to finy any use case for conditions in jiraProjectPermissions module. Finally I decided to discuss it internally in my team and the answer is “It does nothing and doesn’t have any use-cases”. I have created a ticket to remove it from documentation and I hope it would be resolved.
Thank you for your question!
Have a nice day.

Ha! Mystery solved. Thanks @BeataSzturemska.

So this still exists and I did testing to find out of it works and it does.

It’s basically a way to deny the ability to see / adjust the custom project permissions based off of conditions.

Many of the conditions I tested don’t seem to work but here is one I was able to confirm working:

watching_enabled as a condition to a project permission, hides the permission from the permissions screen if the global setting for watching is disabled.

So you could hide or show permissions based off of what a specific JIRA instance is able to do