PUT rest/api/2/issue/ 500 error. Jira Rest API Error

Hello, I’ve encountered a problem when calling PUT /rest/api/2/issue.
Jira Cloud responds with 500 and

{
  "errorMessages": [
    "We couldn't save your changes. Copy your content, then try reloading the page."
  ],
  "errors": {}
}

The field that I want to edit is an ace app Issue Field with type “rich_text”

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

@Tronikel welcome to the Atlassian developer community,

You have to dereference the field name to a field id. You can do that with GET /rest/api/2/field/search to Get fields paginated. For example, if I use query=Text%20Area, then I get:

{
  "maxResults": 50,
  "startAt": 0,
  "total": 1,
  "isLast": true,
  "values": [
    {
      "id": "customfield_10437",
      "name": "Text Area 1619794712753",
      "schema": {
        "type": "string",
        "custom": "com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:textarea",
        "customId": 10437
      },
      "description": "Custom field for document-like content 2021-04-30T14:58:32.753Z"
    }
  ]
}

Now, I can make the request like so:

{
  "fields": {
    "customfield_10437": "can set"
  }
}

Thanks for the answer, but I already tried that and got the same result.
Let me give more context to this error.

So, I am building an ace app, it’s not my first one, which has a connect module → Issue Field

This field gets assigned/updated to a Jira Issue through my app, the request is shown below.

Now is the interesting part:

When I call the PUT request for the first time (on an issue which does not have my field assigned) it updates correctly.

But when I change the value and call PUT a second time (the issue already had my field assigned) the error pops up.

And, also, when I call PUT with the same values as the first PUT, it works.

e.g.

1. I create an Issue
  2. Call PUT, value get saved correctly
  3. Add a random letter to my current value at the end and call PUT, get error
  4. Remove my random letter at the end and call PUT, then it works

So my guess is that my field is like a read-only field which you can only set once

BUT, everything works if I change my Issue Field type from “rich_text” to “text”. Sadly, I can’t do that because the 255 character limit is too small for my needs because I’m storing stringified JSON in it.

Thanks in advance for your time & help!

1 Like

@Tronikel,

Thanks for the full context! Issue field module does change the field reference behavior. It sure is interesting that this is specific to rich_text but I don’t have any insights. I hope we can get a Jira Cloud & Connect expert to weigh in.

@ibuchanan,
Thank you very much for the quick replies!

Quick update:
Next day I tried to update the fields again, and the problem seems to be fixed now!

1 Like

Edit: A Couple of days later, the error appeared again, have no idea why is this happening

@Tronikel

Did you resolve the issue?

Could you please post the body JSON you’re using in this case? There’s a slight difference between using update and fields (and not both).

Have you tried same thing with api/3/issue (instead of api/2/issue)?

Hi @ViliusZigmantas.
Yeah, the issue is long gone by now, probably something was wrong with jira servers