RFC-12 Forms (ProForma) Cloud API

I get the feeling that we are deviating from the initial RFC here…

2 Likes

+1 for Connect support.

1 Like

can we also add this one to the wishlist? :slight_smile:

@ernst.stefan My answer for the Assets (previously Insight) APIs is the same as for Jira GraphQL API: I am pushing for a solution that would provide Connect support for that API but I can’t promise anything just yet.

As @remie implies my focus is to get Connect support into the forms APIs. If possible I’ll get that done in a way that allows those other APIs to support Connect but I can’t promise anything beyond the scope of the forms API.

+1 for connect support

2 Likes

+1 for Connect support :slight_smile:

And if I understand correctly from the discussion already, the APIs coming in M2 would allow us to get forms that are for example added to a specific JSM Request Type, as in the “form templates”?

2 Likes

@MiikaMkiniemi Yes, one of our priority APIs for the next milestone is an API that provides the form template for a request type.

1 Like

Thanks @jbevan for your comment. I can understand some of the complexities of the various Connect / Connect-on-Forge. As @CharlieGutjahr has mentioned we are focussing on the best solution for the Forms APIs, but we’ll share your comments with the relevant teams.

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for your active participation and feedback during the discussion period of this Forms API RFC. We greatly appreciate your insights and experiences, which have helped us shape the future development of the Forms API in JSM. Here is a summary of the lessons learned, the changes we have made, and what is coming next:

What did we hear?

1. The community emphasised the importance of Connect support for the Forms API (and Atlassian apps more generally). It was identified as a critical requirement by most respondents, and we acknowledge its significance.
  2. A few partners specifically requested the addition of ‘Get form template’ and ‘Save form template’ APIs.
  3. There was also a request for a ‘Bulk get form’ API to retrieve forms in bulk.

What did we change?

1. Connect support was already planned and is in scope for the next Forms API milestone. We acknowledge the overwhelming feedback we received regarding its importance so we made Connect support the top priority and are well into implementation now. In response to your strong call for Connect support in all new APIs we also changed our planned Connect implementation to make it less specific to forms, and more easily shared by other APIs. We would like to turn that into a standard feature that any Atlassian API can use to get Connect support easily, but we are still early in that process and so we can’t make any promises beyond supporting Connect in the forms API.
  2. Based on partner feedback, we have added the ‘Get form template’ and ‘Save form template’ APIs to Milestone 2. These APIs were considered relatively simple to implement and will address the needs of multiple partners.
  3. The ‘Bulk get form’ API is planned now, although it will not be included in the next development milestone. Technical constraints means that such an API would be quite slow if implemented now so it would not be ideal for this milestone. We will consider it for future milestones.

What is coming next?

1. Connect support will be delivered in the next milestone as planned. We understand its criticality and will ensure its inclusion.
  2. The addition of ‘Get form template’ and ‘Save form template’ APIs to the next milestone will provide further functionality and meet the needs of partners who requested these features.
  3. We will track the interest in the ‘Bulk get form’ API via the JAC ticket JSDCLOUD-12702. While not currently in scope, we recognise its importance and will evaluate its implementation in due course.

We value your ongoing engagement and appreciate your commitment to making the Forms API even better. Your feedback has been important in shaping our roadmap, and we will continue to listen and learn from you.

Thank you again for your valuable contributions.

Best regards,

Simon Herd (PM) & Charlie Gutjahr (Architect), on behalf of the PerFORMers team at Atlassian.

5 Likes