RFC-25: [Superseded by RFC-29] App Access Rule - followup to New App Data Access APIs

Hey @JustinThirkell,

Those will be big changes to the ecosystem. That will cause a lot of work for many vendors. Thank you for sharing the according plans with us in advance.

Like @remie, while reading, I was surprised that you want to introduce CloudEvents for those new kinds of events. I am not really opposed to that approach but would expect that this is part of a greater plan in which Atlassian changes the whole Connect & Forge event infrastructure to this new format.

Besides that, I want to raise awareness that we expect Atlassian to thoroughly test whether Forge is ready for those new requirements. Two topics that came to my mind:

• You are highlighting that CloudEvents has good coverage in terms of SDKs. Is their JavaScript/TypeScript ready and compatible with Forge? I know CloudEvents/sdk-javascript uses packages like “uuid” under the hood. Those packages rely on Node.js’s “crypto” package, which, as far as I know, doesn’t run in the Node isolate used by the Forge Sandbox. Please align the release of the new Node Runtime with those changes.
  • Atlassian expects apps to iterate over entities when changes occur. At least that will not be possible within the boundaries of the 25-second limited Forge lambdas. I expect that Atlassian tests and maintains examples of how to securely iterate over thousands of pages or issues without the need to maintain a remote server. In case this can not be solved with async events, please make sure to have long-running tasks for Forge ready on time.

Best,
Julian

13 Likes