RFC-32: Confluence Content Customization

Hi @Alli_S , thanks for bringing this set of features to the community.

I have to voice my disappointment with the way that Atlassian has chosen to approach this initiative. Theming and content formatting are markets that are very well established and supported in the marketplace. This initiative steps into both and arguably overlaps with existing functionality of a number of the top selling cloud apps. Put another way, by not working with marketplace partners in order to explore options on how to grow these markets, and by adding functionality that a number of apps already have, partner sales will likely be impacted and Atlassian’s cut of those sales will also be. It feels like a no-win situation from this side of the fence.

Regarding extensibility ideation, this also is a very well established area. You only need to look at the dev community or the Connect/Forge Jira backlogs for ideas on this. Vendors have been asking for years for improvements/greater extensibility in both theming and macros on Connect, Forge and on the Fabric Editor of which very few have been invested in. A good example of this is @SvenSchatter 's 3 year old post that has a lot of contribution and a lot of silence from Atlassian’s side.

This line also makes it very difficult to have a business with apps that have formatting macros. Please could you provide a full roadmap with details of which features you will be sherlocking, so that we can plan accordingly?

Overall, I/and our teams would be very happy to work with Atlassian on extensibility for these features but we really need better clarity on the state of these markets and how we can build our mutual businesses.

7 Likes