Server Timebomb Licenses stopped working on Confluence 7.17

Hi Devs :slight_smile:

I think the licensing update in Confluence 7.17.0 broke Server Timebomb licenses.

Both the license listed on https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/timebomb-licenses-for-testing-server-apps/ under 3 hour expiration for all Atlassian host products, as well as the instances pulled up with atlas-run(-standalone) are not accepted by the code as valid licenses. Therefore, Confluence refuses to start / accept it during setup:

Steps to reproduce:

• With the latest version of the atlassian-plugin-sdk installed, run atlas-run-standalone --product confluence, wait until the instance is started then access it using the link given in the output.
  • Or: Start setting up Confluence as a standalone instance and give the license posted on the aforementioned page that contains all public timebomb licenses. Setup will reject that license.

Workarounds known to me:

• Use a (single-node) DC instance with a proper license, or
  • a proper Server (prod or dev) or
  • an eval license or
  • use a lower version of Confluence (≤ 7.16.x)

I think this should probably be fixed, be it that the licensing code in 7.17.1 or something actually accepts the server timebomb licenses again or that the data image that atlassian-plugin-sdk pulls, actually provides a DC timebomb license.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Tobias

SEO keywords:

• Error in Web UI: “License Inconsistency: Your current license will not work with this version of Confluence.”
  • Error in Setup Web UI: “The product license youre using is not legitimate. Contact your license issuer.” [sic]
  • Errors in Logs:
    • com.atlassian.confluence.license.exception.LicenseException: Failed to retrieve license from storage.
    • retrieveFromStorage Unable to parse license string: Failed to verify license hash: missing property licenseHash
    • Unable to retrieve license. Your current license will not work with this version of Confluence. You'll need to supply a valid license key. Confluence can't start without this. If you have a new license, please enter it on this page (/fixonly/fixlicense.action) and restart.

PS: Visiting the page to fix the license also does not work for me:

3 Likes

Just adding my voice here that we’re seeing the same thing, both for atlas-run and atlas-run-standalone for Confluence 7.17.0 and 7.17.1. Working with Confluence 7.16.3. My SDK version:

ATLAS Version:    8.2.7
ATLAS Home:       /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.2.7
ATLAS Scripts:    /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.2.7/bin
ATLAS Maven Home: /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.2.7/apache-maven-3.5.4
AMPS Version:     8.1.2
2 Likes

Has there been a solution to this? I need to test/release updates my apps for Confluence 7.18

To my knowledge, no. As a workaround, you could try placing an eval license in the confluence.cfg.xml file in your Confluence home (which will be somewhere under target if you use atlas-run{,standalone}).

Maybe @bentley could tag the correct people that could look into this :innocent:

1 Like

Acknowledging that I saw this and have asked around. Will see if anyone can share more insight. No promises, a bit outside of my areas of pseudo-expertise :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Any word on this? I’m now trying to test my plugin for Confluence 7.19.0. I have a trial DC license and applied it to the copy of confluence.cfg.xml under the target subdirectory. The problem may be I removed the line feeds (should I have substituted CTRL-M?)