Setting up Jira DC on AWS - Quick Start fails

Hi,

we are trying to set up a Jira data center using the following AWS Quick start:

The infrastructure seems to set up fine and the event log in CloudFormation logs the stack to be set up successfully. But when we then try to access the Jira via the load balancer we get a 502 - Bad Gateway. We already threw everything away and set up the stack from scratch - with the exact same result.

I dug a bit around on the Jira DC instance and it looks like the scripts that set up the DC failed. I found the following entries in the log file /var/log/cloud-init-output.log
lots of the following python errors

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 891, in emit
    stream.write(fs % msg.encode("UTF-8"))
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 88: ordinal not in range(128)
Logged from file util.py, line 476

and finally

Oct 30 08:51:46 cloud-init[2786]: util.py[WARNING]: Failed running /var/lib/cloud/instance/scripts/part-001 [1]
Oct 30 08:51:46 cloud-init[2786]: cc_scripts_user.py[WARNING]: Failed to run module scripts-user (scripts in /var/lib/cloud/instance/scripts)
Oct 30 08:51:46 cloud-init[2786]: util.py[WARNING]: Running module scripts-user (<module 'cloudinit.config.cc_scripts_user' from '/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/config/cc_scripts_user.pyc'>) failed

Does anyone know more about this?

Cheers, Tino

Hi Tino. Could you pls share content of bootstrap log file: cat /var/log/ansible-bootstrap.log

We re-created Jira DC stack and now everything works as expected.

1 Like

Maybe this is a good place to say for people that find this in the future that @OleksandrMetelytsia and others help a lot on the DC APT Slack Workspace where this problem was also talked about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For everyone passing by here,

what Oleksandr writes is basically right. But I’d like to add, that we did the same thing already 2 or 3 times before. From our perspective it looks like the problem was tied to the AWS region used to run the stack: We had set up the above mentioned stack several times in the region US West (Oregon) - where the Jira instance always failed to start. When we were advised to set up the stack again, we choose US East (N. Virginia). Then it started to work. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers, Tino