Solved: Unable to Access Context Variables from Velocity Template

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to create a JIRA plugin, and all I am trying to do at this point is to pass a variable from my Java Servlet to my Velocity Template. This is what my code looks like:

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.HashMap;
import java.util.Map;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;

import com.atlassian.sal.api.pluginsettings.PluginSettings;
import com.atlassian.sal.api.pluginsettings.PluginSettingsFactory;

import com.atlassian.plugin.spring.scanner.annotation.component.Scanned;
import com.atlassian.templaterenderer.TemplateRenderer;
import javax.inject.Inject;
import com.atlassian.plugin.spring.scanner.annotation.imports.ComponentImport;

@Scanned
public class HomeServlet extends HttpServlet
{
    private static final String PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY = "com.atlassian.plugins.dashboard.refapp.settings";

@ComponentImport
    private final TemplateRenderer renderer;
    @ComponentImport
    private final PluginSettingsFactory pluginSettingsFactory;

@Inject
    public HomeServlet(TemplateRenderer renderer, PluginSettingsFactory pluginSettingsFactory)
    {
        super();
        this.renderer = renderer;
        this.pluginSettingsFactory = pluginSettingsFactory;
    }

@Override
    public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws IOException, ServletException
    {
        Map<String, Object> context = new HashMap<String, Object>();
        PluginSettings pluginSettings = pluginSettingsFactory.createGlobalSettings();

if (pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".token") == null) {
            context.put("token", pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".token"));
        }

if (pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".email") == null) {
            context.put("email", pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".email"));
        }

if (pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".password") == null) {
            context.put("password", pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".password"));
        }

System.out.println("SAVED:");
        System.out.println(pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".token"));
        System.out.println(pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".email"));
        System.out.println(pluginSettings.get(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".password"));

context.put("myvar", "Hello World!");

response.setContentType("text/html;charset=utf-8");
        renderer.render("templates/dashboard.vm", context, response.getWriter());    
    }

@Override
    public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws IOException, ServletException
    {
        PluginSettings pluginSettings = pluginSettingsFactory.createGlobalSettings();
        pluginSettings.put(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".token", request.getParameter("token"));
        pluginSettings.put(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".email", request.getParameter("email"));
        pluginSettings.put(PLUGIN_STORAGE_KEY + ".password", request.getParameter("password"));

response.sendRedirect("dashboard");
    }
}

This will render the velocity template, but I cannot seem to get it to access the variables I pass. In my println statement, it prints the variable fine. In my template, if I add the following code, the variable does not display. It only shows ‘$token’

<label>$token</label>

I got this code from the JIRA developer documentation, so I am not entirely sure why it is not working. Am I passing the context incorrectly? Am I accessing it incorrectly?

I have printed out the $context variable from the template, and that prints out an object with a bunch of classes, though, none of them are my context variables (or give me access to them).

Also, this is not to be used with Confluence. Any help will be appreciated. I have been stuck on this issue for hours.

Thanks

Hi @zach.s,

Were you able to see the $myvar variable in your velocity template? If so, then you’re already able to pass the variable from your servlet class to the template. If you can’t see the $token variable, then maybe it does not go in the condition that you’ve set. One way to test this is to set a simple variable in your context and display it in the template. You can also see this: How to pass variables from java class to vm

Thanks!

Cheers,
Anne

Sorry i kept this topic open. I copied the code above from another post. If you notice the == null part of my code, it would make my conditions for token, email, and password empty. The fix was to make it !=. It was a complete F up on my part for not checking the code I copied. This problem is solved.

Hi @zach.s,

Nice! Can you please mark this as solved on your end? So other developers would be guided as well :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Cheers,
Anne Calantog