Strange error in logs with: com.atlassian.confluence.pages.exceptions.ExternalChangesException - has anyone seen this before?

Hi,

we are currently facing some strange error logs in some instances of our customers, which come up when one of our apps uses the attachmentManager to upload an image.
The complete error logs like this:
com.atlassian.confluence.pages.exceptions.ExternalChangesException: Unable to save changes to unreconciled page null

Has anyone ever came across this error? Or even better: Has anyone found a solution for problems in combination with this error?

Cheers,
Matthias

2 Likes

It sounds familiar to the following [CONFSERVER-55928] Attachments become 'Unknown Attachment' in the page editor with Collaborative Editing turned on - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products. and might share the same symptoms under the hood

I believe we had a fix in place for content reconciliation when attachment uploads are involved … that said, I haven’t followed the whole details post June :slight_smile:

@richatkins might have some answers perhaps ?

We are facing the same issue as @MatthiasClasen. Are there any news regarding this? We are facing the problem when uploading profile pictures, so the fixes in the link are no help. We are using the Linchpin Intranet Suite if that makes a difference.

Sorry for my late response @SvenAlebrand @viqueen-hasnae. I just came back from parental leave these days and saw some replies here :slight_smile:. Yes there are some news. Atlassian has acknowledged this error as a bug in Confluence and opened a corresponding ticket: [CONFSERVER-74671] Functions that rely on methods to work with files and attachments (including images) are failing after collaborative editing is disabled - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.. Before that, our team was able to reproduce this error (which previously occurred only infrequently) by disabling collaborative editing.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer @MatthiasClasen!