Terminal problem

Hello so I have started to Atlassian Forge yesterday but I already have a problem. I just got a new MacBook and I’m trying to get use to this device. While I was using the terminal I had a problem and decided to reopen the terminal. When I reopened the app node, nvm, npm and forge commands were not being accepted and I got the following sentence:zsh: command not found: forge. I have been looking through everywhere and I couldn’t find any solutions.

@Bekirmeriek, perhaps you were in a different shell other than zsh or maybe your environment scripts/configs aren’t loading properly. So, try re-running zsh or bash from your terminal to see if the paths get set properly.

I’m also on a Mac, and sometimes I find myself in same situation, and I have to run bash in order for environment to get in their right place.

@nmansilla , thank you for your response. I have tried to use it also in bash too but sadly no hope. I am currently planning to re-install everything all over again.

@Bekirmeriek,

Hopefully, you’re well on your way to productivity again. But I was inspired by your case of getting a new laptop, and decided to share some of my developer workstation tips:

I’ve experienced the same issue and can’t fix it.
Have you fixed it somehow?

1. Install Forge CLI
    Make sure you have the Forge CLI installed. You can install it using npm (Node Package Manager) by running the following command in your terminal:

npm install -g @forge/cli

1. Update your PATH:
    Ensure that the directory where npm installs global packages is included in your system’s PATH. The global npm package directory is usually something like ~/.npm-global/bin. Add the following line to your shell configuration file (e.g., ~/.zshrc for Zsh):

export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/.npm-global/bin"

Save the file and restart your terminal or run source ~/.zshrc to apply the changes

1. Verify installation:
    After updating your PATH, verify that Forge CLI is now accessible by running:

forge --version

This should display the version of the Forge CLI, confirming that it is now in your PATH.

Welcome to the Atlassian developer community @ByteBlendApps,

I am surprised that Node’s native installation didn’t handle the path management. How odd!

I would point out that step 2 is one possible work-around but not necessarily the best solution in all cases. It is common to use a Node version manager, like nvm or fnm (as I wrote about in the blog I posted above). In that case, the global packages location is different for different versions of node. Fortunately, the version manager should handle the path management itself.

In any case, I readily admit that our documentation does not address all the nuances of shell management or Node.js management, but simply recommends nvm. I’m glad you were able to discover and provide some additional insights here. Thanks for posting a self-solution to your problem so quickly!