`theme` prop in @atlaskit/progress-bar is being deprecated

Hi developer community,

I’m a software developer on the Design System team.

What is changing?

We’re deprecating the legacy theme prop in the @atlaskit/progress-bar package. This means that there will no longer be updates or support for this prop moving forward.

Why is it changing?

theme is being deprecated - this is a legacy prop that should no longer be used. The removal of it will allow for performance wins and aid in the the Design System team’s conversion to compiled.

What do I need to do?

If you are using the theme prop in @atlaskit/progress-bar , you can do the following things:

1. Consider the design of the progress bar - does it really need to be customized? If so, what is the reason behind it? It seems that consumers customizing this are trying to replicate variants that already exist such as changing the bar color to create their own success progress bar and transparent progress bar or changing it to a color that may impair accessibility.
  2. Do nothing. You can pin your version in the package.json to reflect this. However, future compatibility with other Design System components will not be guaranteed, so this is not recommended.

When do I need to do it by?

We will be removing the prop on 13 May 2022. Existing versions of @atlaskit/progress-bar will not be impacted by this change.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.