Trying to edit select field with Value not ID

Hi

I am trying to Edit a field through Automation using JSON on a custom field.

I would like to set the Cusom field Company with the value of Abcde

{
 "fields": {
    "Company": {
        "value": "Abcde"
    }
 }
}

The above gives me this error:

XXX-85 (Can not deserialize instance of java.lang.Long out of START_OBJECT token at [Source: N/A; line: -1, column: -1] (app-key__field-key))

Please advise?
Thank you

@YatishMadhav The docs for how to update a custom field using JSON on an Automation rule can be found here:

Try something like this:

{
  "fields": {
    "Company": "Abcde"
  }
}

Alternatively, if you have multiple custom fields with the same name, or your custom field is the same as a system field, then you should use the customfield_12345 (ID-based) naming convention.

Oh, and one more thing. I noticed that your JSON had some kind of smart quotes (instead of straight " quotation marks "). The Automation tool definitely doesn’t like those. I recommend running your JSON through a linter/validator before you save/publish your rule.

Hi

I have tried that - see results below. I wonder why it is not working - probably becuase it is a field that is populated by the REST API and is part of the custom connect app field module?

With Company
Can not construct instance of java.lang.Long from String value ‘ABCDE’: not a valid Long value at [Source: N/A; line: -1, column: -1] (app_key__app_field_key)

With customfield_####
Can not construct instance of java.lang.Long from String value ‘ABCDE’: not a valid Long value at [Source: N/A; line: -1, column: -1] (app_key__app_field_key)

Please advise?

Thank you
Yatish

@YatishMadhav Just to clarify, this is an Issue Field that you defined in your Connect descriptor, correct? https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/modules/issue-field/

Would you mind pasting the part of your descriptor (atlassian-connect.json) that contains the jiraIssueFields?

NOTE: I haven’t given it a try yet in Automation, but I will try to get to it later this afternoon… but according to the docs above, you need to reference this type of Issue Field with the following format:

The key of the field, that can be used to reference the field in the REST API, is:
$(app-key)__$(module-key)

Hi @nmansilla

That is correct. It is a single_select type field. Here is the snippet (we do have more fields but this can be used as example) - also, I have verified that the the value I want to populate does exist in the dropdown:

"modules":
	{
		"jiraIssueFields": [
			{
				"name":
				{
					"value": "Company"
				},
				"description":
				{
					"value": "Company"
				},
				"type": "single_select",
				"key": "company"
			}
		]
	}

Hmm - OK, I will give that a try in the JSON in the automation rule to edit / create the issue to set the value based on the value.

Please let me know if you try and if it works. I will do the same on my end.

Thank you
Yatish

Hi
I got this :frowning: note that striata-sphere is the app key and company is the field key as defined in the above JSON.

When using:

{"fields":{"striata-sphere__company":{"value": "Abcde"}}}

Screenshot from 2023-02-15 11-26-59

Please advise?

Thank you
Yatish

Hi @YatishMadhav, the format should resemble what’s below, where 123 is the option ID. You can fetch a list of issue field options using Get Selectable Issue Field Options method.

{
   "fields":{
      "striata-sphere__company": 123
   }
}

Thanks @nmansilla for checking and feeding back - though what my original request for this is to set a select based on hte value and not the ID :slight_smile:
I can do so if I have the ID, but what I have a value in the description that I extract to an automation variable and then need to update the select based on that value.

Any idea?

Thank you

Just bubbling this up - I hope there is some way I can set a a single or multi select using automation Edit issue action with Json using the option name and not option ID? Thank you in advance.

(I really hope I am not bugging anyone by posting number of replies here) any workaround or solution to this please? Thank you

Hello

Hi - I am once again hoping someone/Atlassian has an answer for this. Thank you

Hi @YatishMadhav,

It looks like you are attempting to add an option to your custom field before creating it. Please attempt the following:

1. Create a new custom field option using this endpoint.
  2. The response to this request will be a JSON which contains the option ID, like so:
{
  "options": [
    {
      "id": "10001",
      "value": "Scranton",
      "disabled": false
    },
    {
      "id": "10002",
      "value": "Manhattan",
      "optionId": "10000",
      "disabled": true
    },
    {
      "id": "10003",
      "value": "The Electric City",
      "disabled": false
    }
  ]
}
  1. Once you have the response containing option IDs, then attempt to include it to your custom field options by passing the option ID, instead of value.

If you wish to collect them by value, as a previous message suggested, you will need something achieved programmatically after collecting all custom field options first. Alternatively if they are options for select lists, you may prefer using this endpoint instead.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @heinzen - I am trying to edit the issue and set the option in a select field to an already existing option.

Yes, I think currently, the only route is to get all options and then set the field using the ID. The ideal/first prize here would be to set it using just the Value which already is possible on custom selects created on the Jira UI BUT unfortunately not using the connect app, which is the scenario we are in.

FYI this was created this week - please can all on this post upvote https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-81315

Thank you