Unexpected change to API response for sprint / sprint field in Jira Software Cloud

Hey @JonathonGulbrandsen,
I’ll update this thread with a link when we re-publish the deprecation notice.
So, as long as you’re watching this page you’ll get a notification.
Cheers!
Mel

As we saw this deprecation notice in 2017 we implemented support for both representations - if we see the Sprint custom filed value as a string, then we parse it, but if it is a JSON object then we access individual attributes from it. As I result we were not impacted by the change and were not impacted when it was rolled back.

So I suggest that when a deprecation notice is issued, then better handle in your code both the old and new behavior.

Kind regards,
Raimonds

Just a suggestion, but wouldn’t it make sense to update the API version whenever changes are made?

In other words, instead of modifying behaviour within an API version, publish a new API version with the new behaviour, keep the behaviour of all old API versions as-is, and deprecate the oldest versions when they become too cumbersome to support.

That way, developers can switch to the next available version when they are ready to do so, and API versions continue to work the same way as when they were published until they are deprecated.

6 Likes

@gustav.taxen as you can see, we use versioning very sparingly. But indeed, we hear your suggestion.

@david2 re: being able to test against the new response type. That is a very good idea. Again, not something that we do often. But, the idea of a mock placeholder is one idea. Or, perhaps having an optional query parameter to switch between the two? I believe we did something like this for the GDPR changes on some methods.

Thanks for your suggestions. We’ll share them with the product/eng teams.

Is there any chance we could have a canonical place (maybe a category on this community) where deprecation messages like this are posted as a rule of thumb?

3 Likes

Can we have it NOT be:

• Slack (unless it has to be actionable within an hour)
  • CDAC (unless it’s ok I don’t to see it)
  • A documentation page (where I only will see it when I search for it).

It would be awesome if there was a mailing list that I could sign a free form email up (such as my own internal mailing list)

1 Like

It’s some while ago that there was an update on this topic here… Also the change notice hasn’t been updated yet. Are there any new information when and how (= correct target JSON format of the sprint field) these changes will be applied again?

1 Like